• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

grammar exercise

Dear teachers,
    Would you please correct this exercise for me?
    Fill in with the right preposition (simple or multiword) and put the verbs in the right tense or form:
    In / On the morning I arrived I went to call for Hislop. He (modal + not + pretend) could not pretend he (not know) did not know me, but he behaved as though he knew nothing about what I (do) did / would do (?). When I asked for permission to stay, he said it was out of his hands. He said the merchants (not want) did not want me (land) to land. They had made a petition to him. They said that for six months they had been cut off from trade with the Main because of me, and [now] they (ruin) were ruined for nothing at all. The petition (debate) would be / was debated that very morning in the Council. Hislop thought I (modal + attend) should not attend the meeting. I suppose that was friendly advice. If I (not go) did not go, perhaps Bernard (not speak up) would not speak up, the vote (go) would go against me. Hislop (be) was full of regrets, of course, but I (modal + leave) would not leave. Heaven (know) knows where I would have been now.

Best regards,

Hela
    Last edited by hela; 14-Nov-2007 at 12:30.

Re: grammar exercise

On the morning I arrived I went to call for Hislop. He (modal + not + pretend) could not pretend he (not know) did not know me, but he behaved as though he knew nothing about what I did. When I asked for permission to stay, he said it was out of his hands. He said the merchants (not want) did not want me (land) to land. They had made a petition to him. They said that for six months they had been cut off from trade with the Main because of me, and [now] they (ruin) were ruined for nothing at all. The petition (debate) would be debated that very morning in the Council. Hislop thought I (modal + attend) should not attend the meeting. I suppose that was friendly advice: if I (not go) did not go, perhaps Bernard (not speak up) would not speak up and the vote (go) would go against me. Hislop (be) was full of regrets, of course, but I (modal + leave) would not leave. Heaven (know) knows where I would have been now.

I have assumed that was is referred to in.."nothing about what it did" is some action that he took, as opposed to his occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Dear teachers,
    Would you please correct this exercise for me?
    Fill in with the right preposition (simple or multiword) and put the verbs in the right tense or form:
    In / On the morning I arrived I went to call for Hislop. He (modal + not + pretend) could not pretend he (not know) did not know me, but he behaved as though he knew nothing about what I (do) did / would do (?). When I asked for permission to stay, he said it was out of his hands. He said the merchants (not want) did not want me (land) to land. They had made a petition to him. They said that for six months they had been cut off from trade with the Main because of me, and [now] they (ruin) were ruined for nothing at all. The petition (debate) would be / was debated that very morning in the Council. Hislop thought I (modal + attend) should not attend the meeting. I suppose that was friendly advice. If I (not go) did not go, perhaps Bernard (not speak up) would not speak up, the vote (go) would go against me. Hislop (be) was full of regrets, of course, but I (modal + leave) would not leave. Heaven (know) knows where I would have been now.

Best regards,

Hela
    The first sentence can be interpreted several ways:

On the morning I arrived, I called for Hislop - The day that I arrivedI went to Hislop in order to collect him to go elsewhere

On the morning I arrived I called on Hislop - I went to visit Hislop the day that I arrived

In the morning I arrived I called on/for Hislop - During the morning I arrived I [visited Hislo]/[went to collect] Hislop to go on elsewhere.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Dear teachers,

In the exercise above there was something missing that could have helped us find the right tenses at the end of the passage. Here it is, and what do you think of my choices, please?

ON the morning I arrived I went to call FOR Hislop. He (modal + not + pretend) COULD NOT PRETEND he (not know) DID NOT KNOW me, but he behaved as though he knew nothing about what I (do) HAD DONE. When I asked for permission to stay, he said it was OUT OF his hands. He said the merchants (not want) DID NOT me (land) TO LAND. They had made a petition to him. They said that FOR six months they had been cut off from trade with the Main because of me, and [now] they (ruin) WERE RUINED for nothing at all. The petition (debate) HAD BEEN DEBATED that very morning in the Council. Hislop thought I (modal + attend) SHOULD HAVE ATTENDED (??) the meeting. I suppose that was friendly advice. If I (not go) HAD NOT GONE, perhaps Bernard (not speak up) WOULD NOT HAVE SPOKEN for me as he did, and if Bernard hadn't spoken up, the vote (go) WOULD HAVE GONE against me. Hislop (be) WAS full of regrets, of course, but I (modal + leave) WOULD NOT LEAVE (??). Heaven (know) KNOWS where I would have been now.

I'm not sure at all about the underlined parts. I think that what I've written is not coherent at all!

Thanks again,
    Hela

Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Dear teachers,

In the exercise above there was something missing that could have helped us find the right tenses at the end of the passage. Here it is, and what do you think of my choices, please?

ON the morning I arrived I went to call FOR Hislop. He (modal + not + pretend) COULD NOT PRETEND he (not know) DID NOT KNOW me, but he behaved as though he knew nothing about what I (do) HAD DONE. When I asked for permission to stay, he said it was OUT OF his hands. He said the merchants (not want) DID NOT me (land) TO LAND. They had made a petition to him. They said that FOR six months they had been cut off from trade with the Main because of me, and [now] they (ruin) WERE RUINED for nothing at all. The petition (debate) HAD BEEN DEBATED that very morning in the Council. Hislop thought I (modal + attend) SHOULD HAVE ATTENDED (??) the meeting. I suppose that was friendly advice. If I (not go) HAD NOT GONE, perhaps Bernard (not speak up) WOULD NOT HAVE SPOKEN for me as he did, and if Bernard hadn't spoken up, the vote (go) WOULD HAVE GONE against me. Hislop (be) WAS full of regrets, of course, but I (modal + leave) WOULD NOT LEAVE (??). Heaven (know) KNOWS where I would have been now.

I'm not sure at all about the underlined parts. I think that what I've written is not coherent at all!

Thanks again,
    Hela
    "Should have attended" is fine - could also be "ought to have attended" - implies a moral imperitive.

"would not leave" OR "could not leave".

What you have is largely coherent, but the whole passage is slightly obscure! I am still not happy about "for" in the first sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Hello Anglika,

Maybe we should keep "should attend" to mean that he did attend the meeting. As for "call for" can we replace it by "call on"?
    As soon as I get the correction, I'll let you know.

Kindest regards

You can - see my post above for the alternative meanings.