Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 21
    #1

    Could anyone help me?

    I've done 4 exercises, thought I'm not sure. Could check them please?

    Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one, using the word given. Do not change the word given.
    My answers are in RED.

    1. There was no need for you to bring a present. (NEEDN'T)

    You needn't have brought a present.

    2. People think Shakespeare wrote this play in 1590 (THOUGHT)

    Shakespeare is thought wrote this play in 1590

    3. This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. (WORSE)

    Never _________________________ this one.

    4. The minute I hung up, the phone rang again. (SOONER)

    No sooner I hung up than the phone rang again.

    5. They've given the book I ordered to the wrong student. (BOOK)

    The wrong student have received the book I ordered.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #2

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by aodjcd@ig.com.br View Post
    I've done 4 exercises, thought I'm not sure. Could check them please?

    Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one, using the word given. Do not change the word given.
    My answers are in RED.

    1. There was no need for you to bring a present. (NEEDN'T)

    You needn't have brought a present.

    2. People think Shakespeare wrote this play in 1590 (THOUGHT)

    Shakespeare is thought wrote this play in 1590
    Shakespeare is thought to have written this play in 1590.

    3. This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. (WORSE)

    Never have I stayed in a worse hotel asthis one.

    4. The minute I hung up, the phone rang again. (SOONER)

    No sooner I hung up than the phone rang again.
    No sooner had I hung up then the phone rang again.


    5. They've given the book I ordered to the wrong student. (BOOK)

    The wrong student have received the book I ordered.
    The wrong student received the book I ordered.
    ....


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 21
    #3

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Hello!


    I'm in doubt in number 5.

    The first sentence is PRESENT PEREFECT (They've given tho book...)
    and you wrote: The wrong student received the book I ordered (PAST SIMPLE). So English is your language, but what do you think about it?

    Hugs!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #4

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by aodjcd@ig.com.br View Post
    Hello!


    I'm in doubt in number 5.

    The first sentence is PRESENT PEREFECT (They've given tho book...)
    and you wrote: The wrong student received the book I ordered (PAST SIMPLE). So English is your language, but what do you think about it?

    Hugs!
    Here is my opinion on the 5th sentence.

    They've given the book I ordered to the wrong student. (BOOK)

    The book I ordered has been given to the wrong student.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 21
    #5

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    But the second sentence has to be:

    THE WRONG STUDENT___________________________I ORDERED.

    And I have to rewrite with the word given (BOOK).

    Take a look.

    Hugs!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #6

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by aodjcd@ig.com.br View Post
    But the second sentence has to be:

    THE WRONG STUDENT___________________________I ORDERED.

    And I have to rewrite with the word given (BOOK).

    Take a look.

    Hugs!
    Yes, you are right! I should have paid more attention to it. Here is the second sentence:

    THE WRONG STUDENT___has been given the book_______I ORDERED.
    Last edited by Teia; 13-Nov-2007 at 18:26.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #7

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by aodjcd@ig.com.br View Post

    5. They've given the book I ordered to the wrong student. (BOOK)

    The wrong student have received the book I ordered.

    I should have paid more attention. Your sentence would be correct if you used "has"

    The wrong student has received the book I ordered.

    ...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #8

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    ...
    Hi

    I thought that our Brazilian newbie [aodjcd] wanted to use the past participle given:., but he was supposed to rephrase the sentence with the given word, that is book . My mind is away.

    The wrong student has received the book I ordered.

    I thought that we should use the same words as in the original sentence :

    The wrong student has been given the book I ordered.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #9

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi

    I thought that our Brazilian newbie [aodjcd] wanted to use the past participle given:., but he was supposed to rephrase the sentence with the given word, that is book . My mind is away.

    The wrong student has received the book I ordered.

    I thought that we should use the same words as in the original sentence :

    The wrong student has been given the book I ordered.
    I have no idea what is the correct answer is supposed to be. I was just making the answer that was first given, which was not grammatically correct, into one that was correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #10

    Re: Could anyone help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    I have no idea what is the correct answer is supposed to be. I was just making the answer that was first given, which was not grammatically correct, into one that was correct.
    Naamplao

    It was a misunderstanding. I said that it was my mistake, not yours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •