Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1
    greenhand Guest

    questions

    with a biscuit which ( ) the boot of his car .
    a. took complete possession of
    b. took up all the the space in
    c. completely covered
    d. on the whole filled

    ===========
    someone asked why (d) is not the right answer?

    tks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    519
    That's a big biscuit! ;)

  3. #3
    'on the whole' means all things considered eg. on the whole it's a good shop.
    '...filled the whole boot...' would have been correct.

    It's a dogzilla biscuit!

    FRC

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    That's a big biscuit! ;)
    Big dog?

  5. #5
    Susie Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    That's a big biscuit! ;)
    Big dog?
    Are we talking about a cookie which completely filled the trunk of a car?
    Wow, that's some cookie!
    :D

  6. #6

    Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by greenhand
    with a biscuit which ( ) the boot of his car .
    a. took complete possession of
    b. took up all the the space in
    c. completely covered
    d. on the whole filled

    ===========
    someone asked why (d) is not the right answer?

    tks
    biscuit???
    that sentence sounds funny.. logically it sounds incorrect, or weird

    however

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    That's a big biscuit! ;)
    Big dog?
    Are we talking about a cookie which completely filled the trunk of a car?
    Wow, that's some cookie!
    :D
    Or some biscuit. They are a bit different in the US. :wink:

  8. #8
    Susie Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    That's a big biscuit! ;)
    Big dog?
    Are we talking about a cookie which completely filled the trunk of a car?
    Wow, that's some cookie!
    :D
    Or some biscuit. They are a bit different in the US. :wink:
    I know. I love our baking powder biscuits, still hot, cut through the middle, and spread with butter. I wonder what the British call the things we Americans call biscuits.
    :? :wink:

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    That's a big biscuit! ;)
    Big dog?
    Are we talking about a cookie which completely filled the trunk of a car?
    Wow, that's some cookie!
    :D
    Or some biscuit. They are a bit different in the US. :wink:
    I know. I love our baking powder biscuits, still hot, cut through the middle, and spread with butter. I wonder what the British call the things we Americans call biscuits.
    :? :wink:
    Probably chips ot crisps.

  10. #10
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,131
    I dread to think what you call a 'biscuit'. Is it a 'Sharp Pressed American Biscuit'?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •