1. Unregistered

Ms.C.Clarke

What's the proper 'term' for using 'Yours sincerely' & 'Yours faithfully'? ie.closure?

Re: Ms.C.Clarke

If i have understood your question correctly the term you are looking for is -

complementary close

so called because it complements the salutation

I understood them to be complimentary closings - expressing the esteem you have for the person addressed.

No, definitely complementary close. They come in pairs.

Dear Sir(s), Dear Madam etc. (when we don't know the name) is used with Yours faithfully

while

Dear Julie, Dear John or Dear Mr Smith (we do know the name) is used with Yours sincerely

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    No, definitely complementary close. They come in pairs.

Dear Sir(s), Dear Madam etc. (when we don't know the name) is used with Yours faithfully

while

Dear Julie, Dear John or Dear Mr Smith (we do know the name) is used with Yours sincerely
    I think you will need to look at these [there are many more if you google "complimentary close"]

Complimentary close - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Writing: Is "Best" a Complimentary Close?

Definition of complimentary close - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I googled both we have a difference between British and American spellings again!

Having said that the usage is very mixed I found US government and US university sites which were using the traditional British spelling and British sites using the American spelling. I guess I'm getting old I hadn't realised there were 2 acceptable ways to spell this. I also rechecked the British books that I have on commercial correspondence they all, unsurprisingly, use complementary but I'm sure their American equivalents will be using complimentary so take your pick.

So I learned something too from this. Thanks!

I came the the conclusion that one uses a complimentary close that is complementary to the greeting.