2 Qs

I would like to ask native speakers of English.

About 25,000 different people regularly read my daily posts on my blog. No, I donít have ads or earn profit for writing it Ė but I do get to converse with my readers in the commentís section. Through my blog, I find out when I Ďm saying something that provokes them, and I use my writing to establish relationships with people who may not be able to afford the time or money to read my books. Blogs are also a great way for writers to check in with our readers and for them to check in with us more frequently and immediately than the every year or two it takes to write and publish a book.

#1 What is the function or relation of No?
    I think this No is like not in not A but but B?

#2 What is the object of find out?
    I think Blogs are also Ö. book

Thank you very much.

Re: 2 Qs

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I would like to ask native speakers of English.

About 25,000 different people regularly read my daily posts on my blog. No, I donít have ads or earn profit for writing it Ė but I do get to converse with my readers in the commentís section. Through my blog, I find out when I Ďm saying something that provokes them, and I use my writing to establish relationships with people who may not be able to afford the time or money to read my books. Blogs are also a great way for writers to check in with our readers and for them to check in with us more frequently and immediately than the every year or two it takes to write and publish a book.

#1 What is the function or relation of No?
    I think this No is like not in not A but but B?

#2 What is the object of find out?
    I think Blogs are also Ö. book

Thank you very much.

"No" in this case is being used as an interjection. It is not a double negative. It is almost as though he is answering a question before it is asked.

You didn't ask this question but I wanted to point this out. If the sentence was written ...

I donít have no ads or earn no profit for writing it....

Then "no" would be used incorrectly as this is a double negative.

You are correct to question this. It is a poorly worded, grammatically incorrect sentence in that there is NO object to this sentence. The clauses that follow don't serve as an object and you are left wondering what he found out.

This is a problem that often happens when you write sentences that are too long.

Through my blog, I find out when I Ďm saying something that provokes them, and I use my writing to establish relationships with people who may not be able to afford the time or money to read my books.

This should have been broken into two sentences.

Perhaps the writer wanted to say something like this.

Through my blog, I find out the attitudes of my readers when I Ďm saying something that provokes them. By this means I use my writing to establish relationships with people who may not be able to afford the time or money to read my books.

Good catch! Spotting something like this reveals your reading comprehension is coming along nicely.

Thank you very much, Naamplao.

About #2, if you had to choose part in the sentences as the object of find out, where would you choose?

I think it is "I do get to converse with my readers in the commentís section."
    How about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Thank you very much, Naamplao.

About #2, if you had to choose part in the sentences as the object of find out, where would you choose?

I think it is "I do get to converse with my readers in the commentís section."
    How about it?
    There is nothing in what was written that can be considered the object of "find out".

I invented an object when I suggested how it should be written.

Through my blog, I find out the attitudes of my readers when I Ďm saying something that provokes them. By this means I use my writing to establish relationships with people who may not be able to afford the time or money to read my books.

There are many grammatical errors in this piece of writing. It is very poorly written even though it was written by a native english speaker.

I see. Thank you very much, Naamplao