• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

in for surprise

If you still feel that working in one Windows environment will be the same as working in any other Windows environment, you are in for a surprise.

dictionaries say "in for" means guaranteed to get or be going to go through. but I wonder if it also has the meaning of "be waiting for something" or "be expecting something"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: in for surprise

Quote Originally Posted by kat2006 View Post
    If you still feel that working in one Windows environment will be the same as working in any other Windows environment, you are in for a surprise.

dictionaries say "in for" means guaranteed to get or be going to go through. but I wonder if it also has the meaning of "be waiting for something" or "be expecting something"?
    Hi, Kat 2006!

The current belief that 'If you still feel that working in one Windows environment will be the same as working in any other Windows environment' indicates that you have already formed an expectation that things will remain unchanged with another Windows environment. So, in essence, you are 'not waiting for something' or 'expecting something' to change. You believe things will remain the same.

'In for a surprise' in this example means you are 'guaranteed to get' or 'go through' an unexpected happening (surprise).

Does this explanation help you understand the sentence?

Cheers,
    Amigos4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: in for surprise

Yes Amigos4, you made it very clear! now i totally understand the whole sentence.
    Thank you very much!