• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

start, congradulation and touchy

Dear teachers,

I have three questions to ask:

No. 1
    They sent in congratulations ________ their success.
    a. for b. on
    The key is 'a' but I can't find this collocation. I can only find use of 'on'. Could you please tell me which is correct?

No.2
    In my dictionary 'touchy' means 'easily offended or upset', 'sensive' means 'easily upset by the things people say or do, or causing people to be upset, embarrassed or angry'. Could you please explain if the only difference between the two is 'embarrassed' and 'angry' are added to the meanings of 'touchy'?

No.3
    I find the following sentence difficult to understand
    I started up the steps.
    Could you please explain the meaning of 'up' here?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Re: start, congradulation and touchy

No. 1
    a. for b. on
    "for" is correct

No.2
    "Sensitive" and "touchy"
    Sensitive:
    (of a person or a person's behavior) having or displaying a quick and delicate appreciation of others' feelings : eg sensitive handling of a situation. A funeral director would need to be sensitive in discussing the funeral arrangements with a newly-bereaved family. It also means that a person may be easily hurt by something another says, but most often will feel upset in a sad and subdued way, and may withdraw rather than tell the other outright and indignantly that what they said was uncalled for and hurtful.
    Touchy: over-sensitive and reacting strongly to criticism. This is more a colloquial expression. If a person is described as touchy,one has to be careful what one says to them, and how one phrases what one says, because they may see/feel a criticism in what a person says when none was intended. They react by feeling hurt, offended, indignant, and may get angry at the other person. One has the image of somebody with a very painful part of the body and somebody bumps it. Immediately, the person jumps with pain. It is as if the touchy person has a sore spot inside, and through what a person has said, they have jarred the sore spot, and like a reflex action, the touchy person immediately reprimands them, or criticizes the other person for their rudeness.
    No.3
    I started (to climb) up the steps.
    Last edited by David L.; 16-Nov-2007 at 12:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

&
    Dear David L,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I don't understand No.2. 'sensitive' bears two meanings. The one you explained is one of the two. The other is " easily upset by the things people say or do, or causing people to be upset, embarrassed or angry". This is the meaning that I think confusing with 'touthy'. Could you please explain that?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    No. 1
    a. for b. on
    "for" is correct

No.2
    "Sensitive" and "touchy"
    Sensitive:
    (of a person or a person's behavior) having or displaying a quick and delicate appreciation of others' feelings : eg sensitive handling of a situation. A funeral director would need to be sensitive in discussing the funeral arrangements with a newly-bereaved family. It also means that a person may be easily hurt by something another says, but most often will feel upset in a sad and subdued way, and may withdraw rather than tell the other outright and indignantly that what they said was uncalled for and hurtful.
    Touchy: over-sensitive and reacting strongly to criticism. This is more a colloquial expression. If a person is described as touchy,one has to be careful what one says to them, and how one phrases what one says, because they may see/feel a criticism in what a person says when none was intended. They react by feeling hurt, offended, indignant, and may get angry at the other person. One has the image of somebody with a very painful part of the body and somebody bumps it. Immediately, the person jumps with pain. It is as if the touchy person has a sore spot inside, and through what a person has said, they have jarred the sore spot, and like a reflex action, the touchy person immediately reprimands them, or criticizes the other person for their rudeness.
    No.3

Read the definitions again, and note how the person who is "sensitive" reacts differently to one who is "touchy", and that it is as if the "touchy" person has a trigger-spring action, ready to react immediately to the slightest sign of being criticized.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Oh, I see.

Jiang
    Read the definitions again, and note how the person who is "sensitive" reacts differently to one who is "touchy", and that it is as if the "touchy" person has a trigger-spring action, ready to react immediately to the slightest sign of being criticized.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear David,

I am sorry to bother you againd.
    I have problem with No.1. After I received your reply I have spent a lot of time consulting the phrase "send in sth. for sth." but I can't find it. Could you please explain the reason for choosing 'for' instead of 'on'?

Thank you in advance.
    Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    No. 1
    a. for b. on
    "for" is correct

No.2
    "Sensitive" and "touchy"
    Sensitive:
    No.3

She congratulated herself on her powers of deduction
    She congratulated him on his success.

He was just congratulating himself that he had pulled off the perfect crime, when there was a banging on the door.

...and I am so sorry - I think I must have written the first post late at night after answering a number of posts and words swimming before my eyes. The correct usage is:
    The repairmen are to be congratulated for the excellent service that they now provide.
    Our congratulations to the winners.
    Congratulations on a job well done!

I am glad you were being so vigilant, and also persistent in seeking an answer that was clear and made sense to you. I apologize for the confusion.
    Last edited by David L.; 20-Nov-2007 at 04:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear David,

Thank you so much for your explanation. I am slow so I have to ask teachers questions again and again. Thank you so much for your patience and help. You have given me so much help I don't know how to express my thanks more.

Jiang
    She congratulated herself on her powers of deduction/on his marriage.

He was just congratulating himself that he had pulled off the perfect crime, when there was a banging on the door.

...and I am so sorry - I think I must have written the first post late at night after answering a number of posts and words swimming before my eyes. The correct usage is:
    The repairmen are to be congratulated for the excellent service that they now provide.
    Our congratulations to the winners.
    Congratulations on a job well done!

I am glad you were being so vigilant, and also persistent in seeking an answer that was clear and made sense to you. I apologize for the confusion.