• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

fingerling

Dear teachers,

Would you explain to me the meaning of the word "fingerling" in the following sentence:

But why bother? Having recently mashed 32 pounds of potatoes over a three-day period, I can say that they are good cooked in plain water, in salted water and in water mixed with milk, wine or chicken stock.
    They are good made with yellow-fleshed, red-skinned, all-purpose, fingerling, organic, new-dug and supermarket potatoes. I guess that there is a close interrelation with the meaning of the word "fingerling" as a noun: "A young or small fish, especially a young salmon or trout", more especially with the adjectives small and young.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

V.

Re: fingerling

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you explain to me the meaning of the word "fingerling" in the following sentence:

But why bother? Having recently mashed 32 pounds of potatoes over a three-day period, I can say that they are good cooked in plain water, in salted water and in water mixed with milk, wine or chicken stock.
    They are good made with yellow-fleshed, red-skinned, all-purpose, fingerling, organic, new-dug and supermarket potatoes. I guess that there is a close interrelation with the meaning of the word "fingerling" as a noun: "A young or small fish, especially a young salmon or trout", more especially with the adjectives small and young.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

V.
    I think that you've probably got the meaning nailed, Vil.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Riverkid,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am astonished that there are words that are missing of all dictionaries. There is a very irreconcilable difference between small and young fishes and small potatoes, isn't it?

Regards.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi Riverkid,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am astonished that there are words that are missing in all dictionaries. There is a very irreconcilable difference between small and young fishes and small potatoes, isn't it?

Regards.

V.
    There are many uses of language, Vil, where we borrow meanings. The differences in this case are small, as, if I'm right, the meaning is a reference to fingerling size.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Riverkid,

Thank you for your smart elucidation.

I thought for the physical subjects "fish" and "potatoes" only, and not for theirs characteristics: appearance, size, shape, e.t.c.

I'm be sorry for my short-sightedness.

Regards.

V.