Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65

    toward/towards

    Hi teachers, can you give me some examples using towards and toward?!

    The s in towards is making me confused. When do I use towards and toward?!

    Thanks! :D

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    towards mainly UK
    toward mainly US

    They are prepositions. :D

  3. #3
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Are there any rules for this preposition?!

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by RL
    Are there any rules for this preposition?!
    Do you mean rules about which to use? There are no rules, because they are interchangeable. There can only be a personal or regional preference. :wink:

  5. #5
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RL
    Are there any rules for this preposition?!
    Do you mean rules about which to use? There are no rules, because they are interchangeable. There can only be a personal or regional preference. :wink:
    Yes teacher, that's what I'm trying to ask. Now I know that it's interchangeable, Thanks MikeNewYork! :)

  6. #6
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    towards mainly UK
    toward mainly US

    They are prepositions. :D
    Thank you, Blacknomi! :)

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,047
    However,with forwards\forward, there are times when only one is suitable:

    I look forward to seeing you.

    Here, we wouldn't use 'forwards'.

  8. #8
    RL's Avatar
    RL is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    However,with forwards\forward, there are times when only one is suitable:

    I look forward to seeing you.

    Here, we wouldn't use 'forwards'.
    Ok teacher, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! :D

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    However,with forwards\forward, there are times when only one is suitable:

    I look forward to seeing you.

    Here, we wouldn't use 'forwards'.
    It would not be a preposition there. :wink:

  10. #10
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,047
    I was just trying to be helpful. What do you say it is- adverb or particle? However, it is connecting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •