1. Unregistered

gooses or geese

Hi teacher;
    A young goose is a gosling, A female Goose is a Goose. A male Goose is a Gander. A flock are called Geese. What are a gaggle of females geese called? Gooses or geese. If Geese, how would you know what was there sex. Would one have to write female geese? One cow is a cow. A group of cows are called cows, not female cattle.

Re: gooses or geese

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi teacher;
    A young goose is a gosling, A female Goose is a Goose. A male Goose is a Gander. A flock are called Geese. What are a gaggle of females geese called? Gooses or geese. If Geese, how would you know what was there sex. Would one have to write female geese? One cow is a cow. A group of cows are called cows, not female cattle.
    Often, there are names for each sex for each animal group but for most people those are not all that well known nor that important for their daily lives. I can't ever remember an occasion where I need to refer specifically to a female goose but if I did have to, I guess that female goose sufficed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi teacher;
    Generically it is a gaggle of geese. You would be specific if you want to mention them in terms of their sex - there are some ganders in the yard as well as the geese.

A herd of cattle if the sex is not identified or specified. A herd of cows if it is.
    A drove of bullocks - young bulls

These group names depend largely on where you're from, how animals are kept. We never describe young bulls as bullocks, nor do we use the term 'drove'. A gaggle of geese also is foreign to us, as usage, [we understand it of course] in my neck of the woods because the only geese we ever see are flocks of wild geese.

Anglika, isn't 'bullocks' also a taboo/swear word in BrE? Is it somehow derived from the young bull usage?

I think that most of the group names had more significance many centuries ago when animals figured more prominently in most people's lives.

Nope - you are thinking of Bollocks which derives from a totally different thing - namely part of the male anatomy.