Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    bring on the night

    Hello guys,

    some one can help me with the meaning of the expression :

    'bring on the night'

  2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 8
    #2

    Re: bring on the night

    ı do not really know the meaning of it but it may be something which is hiddened or it can be related with secret things.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #3

    Re: bring on the night

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello guys,

    some one can help me with the meaning of the expression :

    'bring on the night'
    It always helps to have as much context as possible because words and phrases can have more than one meaning/nuance depending on the context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2005
    • Posts: 2,585
    #4

    Re: bring on the night

    Without context, I would take it to mean "May night come soon!".

    MrP

    Not a professional ESL teacher.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 2
    #5

    Re: bring on the night

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello guys,

    some one can help me with the meaning of the expression :

    'bring on the night'

    The next time you are about to go to a party or expecting to have a
    good time then thats when you say " bring on the night "


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #6

    Re: bring on the night

    Quote Originally Posted by sireli delasau View Post
    The next time you are about to go to a party or expecting to have a
    good time then thats when you say " bring on the night "
    What is your evidence for this?


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #7

    Re: bring on the night

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    What is your evidence for this?
    I'd say that if Sireli uses it that way, and she/he is a native English speaker, that's pretty much all that's needed, Anglika. I can certainly see it being used that way.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #8

    Re: bring on the night

    No evidence that she/he is native English speaking, he/she is in Australia, Australia has its own usages, and it would be helpful to have the evidence for its use in this context. Is it purely colloquial and local, or is there written use?


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 554
    #9

    Re: bring on the night

    Well, I agree that context is always helpful, but I have to say that this is an example of a structure I have heard on many occasions and I'm English. Probably the most memorable such expression for me was from a film - I'm afraid I don't remember the title. It was

    "Bring on the dancing girls."

    and in the context had exactly the meaning suggested by Sireli. In fact, this became something of a catch phrase for a while.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #10

    Re: bring on the night

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    No evidence that she/he is native English speaking, he/she is in Australia, Australia has its own usages, and it would be helpful to have the evidence for its use in this context. Is it purely colloquial and local, or is there written use?
    Sireli delasau's use of " bring on the night " makes complete sense to me and is used in Canada in younger circles of people.

    The next time you are about to go to a party or expecting to have a
    good time then thats when you say " bring on the night "
    You are expressing excitement and anticipation for the coming evening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. at night, during the night
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2007, 06:20
  2. at night by night - in the night
    By Humble in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2006, 12:27
  3. Wasted playing video games all night long? no?
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2005, 18:16
  4. bring to X for
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2003, 17:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •