• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

egghead

Dear teachers,

Would you explain to me the meaning of the word "egghead", which is used in the following sentence?

"The recent election 'Bloomfield remarked,"demonstrated a number of things, not the least of them being the extreme remoteness of the "egghead" from the thought and feeling of the whole of the people."

There are two meanings of "egghead", one referring to "boldness", the other to "stupidity".

I know another definition by hearing only, such as: a person of spurious intellectual pretensions or a self-conscious prig, so given to examining all sides of a question that he becomes thoroughly addled while remaining always in the same spot. An anemic bleeding heart.

I have heard that the supporters of Adlai Stevenson, Democratic candidate, during the presidential campaign of 1952, were called "egghead".

Would you so kind to help me?

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 18-Nov-2007 at 15:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: egghead

I am aware of none of those definitions. Egghead to me means merely an intellectual, one perhaps who is, as the quote intimates, remote from the concerns of the average man. In many contexts nowadays, egghead is being replaced by nerd.

Hi Vil,
    "Egghead" describes an academic person. A person who is considered to be very clever in academic circles, but it's not necessarily a positive name because it also suggests that, though the person be very clever, he only cares about academia, and is not interested in the things most "normal" people are interested in. There is also a secondary connotation; the lack of "common sense", which, despite his obvious brilliance, he's considered to be stupid because of his lack of knowledge that "normal" people find essential to surviving daily life. Hope this explains it Vil,
    Moggy

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Mister Micawler,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am impressed from your explicit and vivid definition.

egghead = nerd = a foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Moggy,

Thank you for your widen explanation. Now I am definitely sure, I caught the meaning of the word "egghead". There was something much in what you said. Thank to the secondary connotation, which was described very kind by you, I might to make the logical connection with some hypothesis in my former post.

Thank you for your readiness to render to the needy an active assistance. I think, you are permanent in a fighting trim.

Cheers.

V.

Thanks for your kind words Vil.
    Actually, Mr Micawber's answer hadn't yet appeared when I posted my reply. He defined it in very few words, almost rendering my explanation redundant. But my reply did facilitate better understanding, so it wasn't a waste of time I'm pleased to say!

I'm always ready to help whenever I can...I must confess that my being a member of this site isn't totally altruistic, I do it to improve my own English, and to increase my understanding of a very difficult language!
    Moggy

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi Mister Micawler,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am impressed from your explicit and vivid definition.

egghead = nerd = a foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

Regards.

V.
    I would disagree just slightly with Mr. Mic and say that "egghead" is being replaced these days by "geek." As you indicated, Vil, a "nerd" tends to be inept and unfashionable. Eggheads and geeks are not necessarily unattractive or socially clumsy, they just prefer the pursuit of knowledge over all else. If there is a choice between writing a new computer program or going out to a movie, the egghead/geek will cheerfully stay home and write code all night.

In the context of your original post, the speaker is worried that too many intellectuals (eggheads) will sway the vote. Geeks and eggheads carefully study all the issues and past performances of the candidates before casting their vote. They're not like the general population who might vote for the most likeable candidate, or the candidate who is the most glib in interviews, or the candidate that goes on the road and shakes the most hands.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Quisch,

Thank you for your reasonable intervention.

There are three mitually relevant notions:nerd, geek, and egghead. Owing to your well-founded elucidation and as a result of the further investigation I might take for gospel truth that "egghead" have great closeness of relation with "geek".

There are some definitions and deductions:

"geek" a person who is single minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially.

By the way, the same meaning is lodged in "nerd" and "egghead".

"geek" is first attested in 1876 with the meaning "fool" and at later also came to mean "a performer engaging in bizarre acts like biting the head off a live chicken.

"geek" is a technical oriented person. It has typically implied "nerdy" or "weird" personality, someone with limited social skill who likes to tinker with scientific or high tech projects.

In student slang of the 1970s and later, a geek was someone who partied too little and studied too much. And when these geeks migrated to Silicon Valley and began building computers and writing software programs that made them millionaires, they gained respect.

Originally, a "geek" was a carnival performer who bit the heads off chickens. Earlier versions of this lexicon defined a computer geek as one who eats (computer) bugs for living- an asocial. But as the mainstream culture becomes more dependent on technology and technical skill mainstream attitudes have tended to shift towards grudging respect.

In the 1990s alpha geek was a term of humorous respect for the person in a workplace who knows the most about computers. And the richest man in America was the alpha geek - billionaire Bill Gaits of Microsoft.

There is in the context of my original post an excerpt ....extreme remoteness of the "egghead" from the thought and feeling of the whole of the people" which comes us nearer to the truth egghead = geek. (the supporters of Adlai Stevenson , Democratic candidate at the time of the resent election were "geeks" )

You exhibited very interesting ratiocinations regarding the elections, the candidates and the voters. You have got the pulse of the keynote of the quoted sentence. My congratulations!

Thanks again.

Regards.

V.