1. Unregistered

Smile do i have a comma splice?

Living at home after college is careless because problems happen such as, relying on your parents, wasting your money, and not having the chance to explore the world.

Re: do i have a comma splice?

I don't think you do.... You just have a simple list... As I understand it comma splices join two complete sentences with a comma. I do not see that you have complete sentences so I do not think you have comma splices. You may wish to reconsider wording the sentence though to better convey your meaning. Perhaps something like this:

Living at home after college results in difficulties such as, relying on your parents, wasting your money, and not taking the chance to explore the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Living at home after college is careless because problems happen such as, relying on your parents, wasting your money, and not having the chance to explore the world.
    Hi there,
    Yes, I guess technically you do have a comma splice because you have misplaced your comma.
    "Living at home after college is careless because problems happen"
    is a complete sentence, so you have to place a comma before "such as" not after "such as".
    As an aside, "careless" is an odd choice of words...perhaps "complex", or "risky", or "tricky", depending on your intention.

Hope that helps
    Fiona

Fiona, please help me understand. I do agree with you that the first part could be a complete sentence. As I understand, a comma splice joins two complete sentences with a comma. I do not see that this person has two complete sentences so I did not think it was a comma splice situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi_there_Carl View Post
    Fiona, please help me understand. I do agree with you that the first part could be a complete sentence. As I understand, a comma splice joins two complete sentences with a comma. I do not see that this person has two complete sentences so I did not think it was a comma splice situation.
    Hi there Carl,
    Ok, I couldn't resist! Well, I haven't reviewed my style references recently, but I suppose you could be right...even if it is not technically a "comma splice" (which I will research when I have a moment...perhaps it has a broader definition..??), it is still, indeed, incorrect!
    Thanks, Carl, for staying on task
    Fiona

Quote Originally Posted by fiona bramble View Post
    As an aside, "careless" is an odd choice of words...perhaps "complex", or "risky", or "tricky", depending on your intention.
    I think that the original poster probably meant to say "carefree".

"Careless" means without taking care, recklessly. If you drive carelessly, you may cause an accident.

"Carefree" means without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    I think that the original poster probably meant to say "carefree".

"Careless" means without taking care, recklessly. If you drive carelessly, you may cause an accident.

"Carefree" means without worry.
    Thanks rewboss! The original poster would have to change the verb to the negative though in order for "carefree" to make sense It is a good suggestion though!
    Any comment about the "comma splice"? My style guides don't seem to have a name for this example (except perhaps simply "a misplaced comma")
    Fiona

A comma splice looks like this:

Peter read the book to the end, he never did understand it.

Here you have two sentences joined together with nothing but a comma. This is regarded as poor style: commas are used to separate items in a list and to set off subordinate clauses, non-defining relative clauses and parenthetical statements, for example, but not to join -- or "splice" -- sentences.

The two main techniques for avoiding the comma splice are:

1. Use a conjunction (some writers like to include a comma before the conjunction, but this isn't the same as using a comma on its own):

Peter read the book to the end, but he never did understand it.

2. Use a semicolon:

Peter read the book to the end; he never did understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    A comma splice looks like this:

Peter read the book to the end, he never did understand it.

Here you have two sentences joined together with nothing but a comma. This is regarded as poor style: commas are used to separate items in a list and to set off subordinate clauses, non-defining relative clauses and parenthetical statements, for example, but not to join -- or "splice" -- sentences.

The two main techniques for avoiding the comma splice are:

1. Use a conjunction (some writers like to include a comma before the conjunction, but this isn't the same as using a comma on its own):

Peter read the book to the end, but he never did understand it.

2. Use a semicolon:

Peter read the book to the end; he never did understand it.
    Thanks again, rewboss. I do understand the traditional comma splice (and that Hi_there_Carl was completely right) but I wondered what the poster's example would be called...
    Fiona