What's the word?

hello,
    1. How can I complete the following sentence?
    "The young woman wanted to have a child ............ the famous singer X."
    2. Which one is correct?
    a) The film made a 30-million-dollar boxoffice.
    b) The film made 30 m dollars at the boxoffice.
    3. What's the meaning of 'of' in the following sentences? What kind of usage is this?
    "It is of great importance", "It is of three types."

thank you in advance

Re: What's the word?

I'm pretty stuck with these, so if someone helped I'd appreciated:)

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    I'm pretty stuck with these, so if someone helped I'd appreciated:)
    We don't give the answers to such questions....you don't learn anything if we just give the answers. If you try to answer the questions we will tell you if you are correct or not and if you are wrong we will try to tell you why.

Dear Naamplao,
    Thank you for at least bothering my qq. Actually I was confused with the preposition in the 1st question : is it by, with or from?
    In the 2nd question I was between the to options a or b? so, there is an effort here, too. And the final question, this usage of 'of' is quite frequent, but although I searched many grammar sites, I couldn't find the explanation. So if you could give me the link, I could read and try to understand it on me on. Thanks anyway.

Dear Naamplao,
    Thank you for at least bothering my qq. Actually I was confused with the preposition in the 1st question : is it by, with or from?
    In the 2nd question I was between the to options a or b? so, there is an effort here, too. And the final question, this usage of 'of' is quite frequent, but although I searched many grammar sites, I couldn't find the explanation. So if you could give me the link, I could read and try to understand it on me on. Thanks anyway.
    I am still not going to answer the question but I will try to help you

1. How can I complete the following sentence?
    "The young woman wanted to have a child ............ the famous singer X."

Ok...you are correct that a preposition is needed here and you have 3 choices

By - in this context could mean: "by means of"
    With
    - in this context could mean: "association or together"
    From -
    in this context could mean: "a source"

All three could be used and there could be a context with other sentences that would guide you. But you don't have such a context to help you but you can figure out the best answer with the limited information of the exact sentence.

Which one do you think is correct?

2. Which one is correct?
    a) The film made a 30-million-dollar box office.
    b) The film made 30 million dollars at the box office.

So, you have narrowed the correct answer to these two answers.

I assume the other answers are wrong.

What is the part of speech of "30-million-dollar" in sentence #a

What
    is the part of speech of "dollars" in sentence #b

"The film made...." What part of speech is required here to complete the sentence? noun, verb, adjective or adverb? Answer this and the other two questions and you have your correct answer.

3. What's the meaning of 'of' in the following sentences? What kind of usage is this?

Grammar websites can help but a dictionary is much better.

look at this definition of "of" and see if you can answer the question

AskOxford: of British English

of. The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000. American English

Isn't someone being stubborn? Ok, just joking:)
    here are the answers ( I hope I'm right)
    1. with (but I can almost swear that I saw a sentence saying 'she had to have a baby by an unwanted husband', so cannot figure out the difference btw with and by)
    2. it requires a noun so the answer seems to be 'b' but again I came acoross the phrase ' a 40 million dollar box office' (without any hyphens), so that's why I'm confused.
    3. This is the most difficult one for me . Is it no.11 Specified as; named or called: a depth of ten feet; the Garden of Eden.?

Thank you.

Isn't someone being stubborn? Ok, just joking:) It is called teaching

here are the answers ( I hope I'm right)
    1. with (but I can almost swear that I saw a sentence saying 'she had to have a baby by an unwanted husband', so cannot figure out the difference btw with and by)

I would say "by" is the correct answer in this sentence.

The woman has fallen in love with the singer, so she wants a baby using the singer (by means of). "with" is a close second place but unless there is more context indicating that they are living together and sharing this baby it is not the correct answer.

2. it requires a noun so the answer seems to be 'b' but again I came acoross the phrase ' a 40 million dollar box office' (without any hyphens), so that's why I'm confused.

You are correct. The sentence describes the amount of money the film has made...the other sentence describes how expensive the box office is.

3. This is the most difficult one for me . Is it no.11 Specified as; named or called: a depth of ten feet; the Garden of Eden.?

No...this is not correct but you tried. You should use dictionaries first rather than looking for matches on a website. It gets easier as you do this more and more.

The above use of "of" describes something "the depth is ten feet", "the Garden is called Eden" that is not what your sentence does.

I would say "of" is a preposition as in #5 in the American Heritage Dictionary... From a total or group comprising: give of one's time; two of my friends; most of the cases.

Good try....now at least you know a way to figure out the answers and didn't just get the anser told to you.

Thank you.

thank you for being so patient... may I bother you again in the (not far) future?
    bye

thank you for being so patient... may I bother you again in the (not far) future?
    bye
    No problem....As long as you present your question in this forum....and as long as you attempt an answer. I may not be the only one to help you....there are several people who will help you if you show an effort in the first place.

Good luck.