Talking quick call as a sign

hi.i was wondering if there is any word for what i'm gonna ask in english.in our language,persian, sometimes we give sb a short call but we hang up before sb answers the phone as a sign of sth and we call it "tak zang".do we have a word or phrase like this in english?
    and what is the word for the university field of study in which sb learns the art of sewing?
    thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Re: quick call as a sign

Quote Originally Posted by adullstudent View Post
    hi.i was wondering if there is any word for what i'm gonna ask in english.in our language,persian, sometimes we give sb a short call but we hang up before sb answers the phone as a sign of sth and we call it "tak zang".do we have a word or phrase like this in english?
    and what is the word for the university field of study in which sb learns the art of sewing?
    thanks in advance.
    sorry, i am just trying to understand the situation...

u call a person and hang up before he/she answers the phone?

what's is the objective of this?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    sorry, i am just trying to understand the situation...

u call a person and hang up before he/she answers the phone?

what's is the objective of this?

regards

look my friend.for example you promise your girlfriend to let her know as soon as you get home that you are home,and when you get home you do this just as a signal that i am home now.
    or you do this when you don't have time or topic to talk about to sb but you just want to tell him that you haven't forgot sb. i hope now it is somehow clear.

I remember a time, when phone calls were more expensive than now, when we would do just as you describe with regard to giving a signal that you have arrived home etc. This was especially so if the call was long distance.

No - we don't have a word for this, or even a short phrase. We would have to actually say that we were going to do that. I doubt very much whether people in the UK, for one, do this any more. People are compulsive communicators -everyone's walking around talking on a mobile phone! - and today's generation would think that idea very odd.