greeting

Hi,

could you please tell me whether it is possible to use the following greeting at the end of a business letter:

Best regards and have a nice day! (it sounds a bit informal to me)

Thans a lot!

Hanka

Re: greeting

..though it might make someone's day at the office a lot brighter! Perhaps we ought to take your lead.
    I can only speak for my experience in the UK, where we would conclude a business letter :

Kind regards

Yours sincerely (or Yours faithfully if we are not writing to a specific person by their proper name.) ie John Smith as opposed to, Personnel Manager.

and is there no fixed phrase for wishing a nice day that might be used at the end of a business letter?

You're writing a business letter, and the 'niceties' are covered in wishing them "Kind regards"

Only if you knew the person really well, and were in a more senior position in the company, could you enter some more personal note. (I'm speaking for the UK - in the States it might be, 'have a nice day' in all their correspondence.) In the UK, it might be 'Warm regards'.
    HOWEVER, I am thinking in terms of large organizations, which tend to be, and remain, impersonal. A small travel agency, say, writing a letter to a customer or some other business, may well say anything eg
    Kind regards to you, the wife and kids, and hope the sun is shining where you are today. If not, drop in again and let us send you off to sunny Spain!

Yours truely

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,

could you please tell me whether it is possible to use the following greeting at the end of a business letter:

Best regards and have a nice day! (it sounds a bit informal to me)

Thans a lot!

Hanka

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (have I emphasized this enough) end a business letter with have a nice day!

It has become an automatic reply in speaking English and some people hate it. You are feeling miserable and a grocery cashier says "have a nice day" as you leave. You know they don't mean it. It just reinforces the fact that you are having a lousy day.

To me "best regards" is the perfect business letter ending. I used to hate ending a business letter "Sincerely" or "Yours truly", as if they were my lover.

OK, IŽll keep this in mind

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Depending upon the purpose of the business letter (are you submitting a proposal? Asking for a quotation?), you can conclude with a sentence such as "Thank you for your kind consideration of this matter, and I look forward to hearing from you soon."