Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 74
    #1

    Cool Gilles L

    Dear Teacher,

    Can you give me some rules to go by as to how to use "who" and "whom" ?
    Also, can you adjust the following sentences ?

    for example:

    1) This is the doctor who/whom operated my mother
    2) She is the girl who/whom will the beauty contest
    3) He is the type of guy who/whom will never learn from his mistakes.

    Thank you very much.

    Gilles

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2005
    • Posts: 78
    #2

    Re: Gilles L

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilles L View Post
    Dear Teacher,

    Can you give me some rules to go by as to how to use "who" and "whom" ?
    Also, can you adjust the following sentences ?

    for example:

    1) This is the doctor who/whom operated my mother
    2) She is the girl who/whom will the beauty contest
    3) He is the type of guy who/whom will never learn from his mistakes.

    Thank you very much.

    Gilles
    This is the doctor who operated on my mother.
    She is the girl who will win the beauty contest.
    He is the type of guy who will never learn from his mistakes.

    Rule: use who for the subject, whom for the object.
    He sent it to whom?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 74
    #3

    Re: Gilles L

    Quote Originally Posted by Flittle View Post
    This is the doctor who operated on my mother.
    She is the girl who will win the beauty contest.
    He is the type of guy who will never learn from his mistakes.

    Rule: use who for the subject, whom for the object.
    He sent it to whom?
    Thank you very much for your answer:

    Can you give me precise examples showing cases where word WHOM would apply?

    Gilles

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 74
    #4

    Re: Gilles L

    Dear Teacher
    [quote=Gilles L;229537]Thank you very much for your answer:
    I appreciate that who is used for the subject and whom for the object. However,
    Can you give me precise examples showing cases where word WHOM would apply?

    He is the oral surgeon whom extracted me wisdom teeth. Is the oral surgeon the subject or the object ?

    He is the type of guy whom does not learn from his mistakes. Is the guy the object or the subject ?

    Many thanks

    Gilles L


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: Gilles L

    [quote=Gilles L;229546]Dear Teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilles L View Post
    Thank you very much for your answer:
    I appreciate that who is used for the subject and whom for the object. However,
    Can you give me precise examples showing cases where word WHOM would apply?

    He is the oral surgeon whom extracted my wisdom teeth. Is the oral surgeon the subject or the object ?

    He is the type of guy whom does not learn from his mistakes. Is the guy the object or the subject ?

    Many thanks

    Gilles L

    In both cases ask yourself who is doing the action. That person is the subject.




    See here for the difference: Who and whom

    Please use better titles for your post than your name - it gets confusing otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. Gilles L
    By Gilles L in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2007, 16:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •