• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

pooled juices

Dear teachers,

Recently I read two different articles in two different newspapers. I got into trouble in the face of a puzzling term, namely "pooled juices".

"Who,"they'll ask" goes to the most expensive prix fixe restaurant in the city and orders chickens?"
    "Anyone you answer, who craves the juiciest, most delicately flavored fowl-a milk -fed poulard, actually, raised on a small Pennsylvania farm-with herbs stuffed under the skin, spit-roasted to a golden crispness, and served over toasted, garlic rubbed county bread that soaks up the precious pooled juices."

"It was already sliced, and the waiter buckled down to the familiar Luger ritual, putting some fillet and some sirloin on each plate, then spooning the pooled juices."

I know that "pool" have many different meaning, but I guess that a question of present interest is only one meaning, namely "to accumulate in a body part or organ".

From the other hand I have read another sentence (please see below) in another article, which cause the things go wronger.

"The pooled juice had a pH of 1,2 to 1,3 and was visibly free of bile."

Could you help me by the interpretation this term?

Regards.

V.

Re: pooled juices

It means that the juices [gravy, sauce - whatever it might be] have become a pool on the plate.

http://tinyurl.com/2au9rn

Your other quote - about the pH - needs further context. It seems to be from a medical text.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your prompt and eloquent reply.

Thank you for the expressive link.

The following brief excerpts from different articles demonstrate the truth of your assertion.

Results The amounts of calcium and magnesium recovered from catheters incubated in urine pooled from individuals who had drunk 500 mL of cranberry juice was ...

The lipase activity of the pooled gastric juices was 150 units/mL on tributyrin as substrate. Pure gastric lipase was obtained following the procedure of ...

Evaluation of the use of pooled serum, pooled muscle tissue fluid (meat juice) and pooled faeces for monitoring pig herds for Salmonella ...

With apple and pear juices, tristimulus values changed linearly ..... juice from one fruit (or the pooled juice from several fruits), ...

Juices from several varieties of newly purchased oranges were also expressed manually to provide a further six samples. These juices were pooled to provide ...

Juices from several varieties of newly purchased oranges were also expressed manually to provide a further six samples. These juices were pooled to provide ...

The ether extracts are pooled and dried on anhydrous sodium sulphate. When the juice contains pulp, it is advisable to remove it by centrifugation. ...

After finishing a portion of juice was frozen raw and another portion was pasteurized. After samples were obtained, the remaining juices were pooled, ...

Because of the small sample volumes, some gastric juices with. similar pH were pooled. After collection, the gastric juices were frozen and analyzed ...

Thank you again.

Regards.

V.

Hi, Vil.

There are two uses of "pooled" in your examples. In some cases it means a liquid has gather in one place; in other cases it means that material of some kind -whether liquid or not - has been combined in order to assess something. It is the same usage as "car pool".

Full context will tell you whether it is the first or the second meaning.

I'm right now, enjoying the pooled juices from a tender, succulent piece of grain-fed beef. They're adding a superb bit of flavor to my baked potato.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

And yet, there is really and truly a fact. which goes to show the peaceful co-existence of a few polisemantic meanings of the term "pooled juices". The definitive synonymous meaning should have to be defined with the help of the context.(your beloved word).

Thank you for the strict stauchness, which you manifested in the job.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi riverkid,

Thank you for your attention.

Your brief description your's present amusement sound so provoking in reference to my appetite (it brought water to my mouth) , that it is to be regretted for being unable to come to you across the Great Pond and join forces with yours to the completely gulping this challenging pleasures on the table down .

I see, you are really a man with taste.

Cheers.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 21-Nov-2007 at 09:54.