Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Unregistered

    Sentence Continuation Terminology

    I was proofing a document the other day and performed an action which I believe has a proper name, but I am not sure. Are you aware of a technical English usage term that refers to the separation of a compound word at the end of line of text (by use of a hypen) and its continuation on the next line of text. This may occur at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. It is rare currently, I suppose, because of word processing programs; but, Is there a term for the breakup and continuation of a word on two lines?
    It has been bugging me and I would like to know if I am thinking about a term that does not even exist.
    Thank you

  2. rewboss's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 1,552

    Re: Sentence Continuation Terminology

    We talk about "hyphenation" to refer to the setting of hyphens generally. What you're referring to is breaking a word over two lines -- and I don't know of a special word for that. It is a type of hyphenation, and normally simply called "hyphenation".

    Modern word-processing programs can be set to break words if necessary. They use a hyphenation algorithm to determine where it is possible to insert a word break.

Similar Threads

  1. sentence structure question
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2008, 10:53
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2006, 14:07
  3. Attributive Clause - China Needs Your Help
    By ChinaDavid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2005, 16:56
  4. Are there softwares to speak English sentence by sentence
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2004, 18:25
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts