• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

creepie-crawlies

Help me on this, one more time, please. This book has been of great use of my learning improvement. I'm mad about English, I want to learn more & more each time. I do my best to excell it and teach cutting edge classes on the daily basis. Thank U all.

There goes:

"Ranks had begun to close among the creepie-crawlies who vied for the favor of the Crown".

What does the boldfaced one mean, please?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: creepie-crawlies

Hello Robuca,

A "creepy-crawly" is an informal (often children's) term for a small land-dwelling invertebrate such as a spider, beetle, centipede, etc.

They are so called because they "creep" and "crawl" on the ground (and also make some people's flesh "creep").

In your text, it's an unflattering metaphor.

Best wishes,

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by robuca View Post
    Help me on this, one more time, please. This book has been of great use of my learning improvement. I'm mad about English, I want to learn more & more each time. I do my best to excel at it and teach cutting edge classes on the daily basis. Thank U all.

There goes:

"Ranks had begun to close among the creepie-crawlies who vied for the favor of the Crown".

What does the boldfaced one mean, please?
    Hi Robuca,

I was wondering if I might ask you a question. I noticed that you said "There goes" before the sentence. What did you mean by that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Dearst Riverkid,

If I could I would spend the whole at this forum because I love to excell at... lol... English and I'm nit-picker supreme. I appreciate your help too much. Keep doing so... By "there it goes I meant: the stuff I wanna know is... okay? Keep pushing me to go to the extra mile. Thank u so very, very much.