• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

modifying a verse from the Bible

Dear teachers,

Could you tell me whether the following verse from the Bible might be modified by making the best of this transformation? For example in this way?

"Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others."

"Let each of you look out not only for his own interest, but also for the interest of the others."

These were the Paul's words to the Philippians, who instructed them not to dwell on themselves so much.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Re: modifying a verse from the Bible

Yes, you can rewrite the sentence that way.

Those weren't actually Paul's words to the Philippians, by the way: his words to the Philippians were in 1st century Greek. Your first quote comes from a translation made in Shakespeare's day, the so called Authorized Version (Americans call it the "King James Version"). It's written that way not because Paul wrote like that, but because that was the way educated people wrote in the 17th century.

Language changes though, and nobody speaks or writes that way at all. Your second quote comes from the New International Version, written in the 1970s, and so is written in a 1970s style.

It's important to note that the NIV is not simply a "modernised" version of the Authorised Version. The writers of the NIV went back to the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts and translated them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: modifying a verse from the Bible

Hi rewboss,

Thank you for your phenomenal and knowledgeable explanation. I am surprised at your cognition. You are right. Paul have spoken Greek.The oldest manuscripts read, regarding this passage is so as follows:

"Not looking each of you (plural, Greek) on his own things (that is, not having regard solely to them), but each of you on the things of others"

Now I hope I might afford myself the pleasure of making a slight detour. I have heard that Paul have become the biblical gifts of the spirit, which include the working of miracles, haling, prophesy, and speaking in tongues. I think, he shouldn't have need to speak in Greek. Moment. I am mistaken. You are indeed right. He didn't spoke. He have written his epistle. And language was Greek. Please, excuse my lyrical digression.

In my opinion, the second quotation (from the NIV is more intelligible than the quotation from the KJV. My uncertainty was the cause for my former post. Thank you for your empathy.

Thank you again.Your elucidations were very helpful for me.

Regards

V.