Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Dialect writing

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 1

    Dialect writing

    Hi there,
    I am studying a piece of dialect writing where the first letter is missed out as a way of showing the dialect. Is this referred to as an elipse?

  1. rewboss's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 1,552

    Re: Dialect writing

    No. An ellipsis (plural: ellipses) is a row of three dots used to indicate missing words.

    What you're thinking of is, quite simply, an "omission". It's usually marked with an apostrophe.

Similar Threads

  1. Where to start improving my English writing
    By Callisto in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2010, 07:32
  2. how can we make writing subject more interesting?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2008, 08:26
  3. How the Creative Writing Process Works
    By huda23 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-May-2008, 02:37
  4. editing
    By hashem in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2008, 01:52
  5. how to test students' writing proficency
    By hhggj6643 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-May-2007, 08:14


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts