• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool crushed victim ??

Hi,

What does exactly "crushed" mean in the following passage: (My dictionary explanation doesn't satisfy me.)

Saudi rape victim 'a crushed human being' (CNN).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: crushed victim ??

You wrote: What does exactly "crushed" mean in the following passage: (My dictionary explanation doesn't satisfy me.)

Hello! When we describe a person as being 'crushed human being', we are trying to communicate that that person is feeling very sad, feeling rejected, depressed, neglected, violated. They perhaps have lost hope and cannot see past their immediate situation. Best I can tell from the brief context of someone being a victim of rape, this is talking about their mind and spirit, not physically per se; it is about how they feel or how they are viewed by others, not actually physically 'crushed' in their body or physically.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool Re: crushed victim ??

Quote Originally Posted by jerry081958 View Post
    You wrote: What does exactly "crushed" mean in the following passage: (My dictionary explanation doesn't satisfy me.)

Hello! When we describe a person as being 'crushed human being', we are trying to communicate that that person is feeling very sad, feeling rejected, depressed, neglected, violated. They perhaps have lost hope and cannot see past their immediate situation. Best I can tell from the brief context of someone being a victim of rape, this is talking about their mind and spirit, not physically per se; it is about how they feel or how they are viewed by others, not actually physically 'crushed' in their body or physically.
    Thanks a lot for your help, Jerry081958 I wish my dictionary were as clear as you are!