• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

aging gracefully

What does "aging gracefully" mean? The word gracefully could suggest beauty, but what does beauty do with aging? I guess it is an attitude of the aging person not to regret too much about the lost youth, right? Thanks.

Re: aging gracefully

It means getting older without striving against becoming old, accepting the situation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It means getting older without striving against becoming old, accepting the situation.
    Thanks. Anglika.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    What does "aging gracefully" mean? The word gracefully could suggest beauty, but what does beauty do with aging? I guess it is an attitude of the aging person not to regret too much about the lost youth, right? Thanks.
    In addition to what Anglika said..."aging gracefully" also can mean that the physical looks of the person (man or woman) while showing their age are not disagreeable. They retain their looks and charm as they get older. Sophia Loren comes to mind to me in this sense. She is very charming and still good looking in her seventies. For a man you might think of "Dick Clark" of American Bandstand fame. He never seems to age, though lately his health is failing a little.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    In addition to what Anglika said..."aging gracefully" also can mean that the physical looks of the person (man or woman) while showing their age are not disagreeable. They retain their looks and charm as they get older. Sophia Loren comes to mind to me in this sense. She is very charming and still good looking in her seventies. For a man you might think of "Dick Clark" of American Bandstand fame. He never seems to age, though lately his health is failing a little.

Yes, this seems true. I just saw a sentence "Aging gracefully, combat the sign of aging. It seems the advertisement industry takes advantage of this phrase and uses it in a different way, to mean aging gracefully in a literal sense. They want us to buy cosmetic products to combat the sign of aging, to look handsome or beautiful.