• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have no idea about meaning of this one.

USA Today,
    Five months ago, the Yamanaka group reported similar success with mouse cells, setting the stage for a worldwide effort to get the technique to work in human cells.
    Embryonic stem cells can become virtually any kind of cell in the body, offering the promise of replacement tissues to treat ailments such as diabetes and spinal cord injuries.

I'm a little bit confused when reading above red-colored part. I think that is somewhat condensed. What is the original form of that? The original form can be helpful to discover the exact meaning of that part.

Re: I have no idea about meaning of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by soleiljy View Post
    USA Today,
    Five months ago, the Yamanaka group reported similar success with mouse cells, setting the stage for a worldwide effort to get the technique to work in human cells.
    Embryonic stem cells can become virtually any kind of cell in the body, offering the promise of replacement tissues to treat ailments such as diabetes and spinal cord injuries.

I'm a little bit confused when reading above red-colored part. I think that is somewhat condensed. What is the original form of that? The original form can be helpful to discover the exact meaning of that part.

Hi there,
    The latter portions of each sentence are reduced relative clauses, which, in full form are likely:
    setting the stage for a worldwide effort to get the technique to work in human cells: which set the stage...
    offering the promise of replacement tissues to treat ailments such as diabetes and spinal cord injuries: which offers the promise...

Both of these forms can be "reduced" by removing the "which" and putting the verb in -ing form. Both of these reduced clauses are modifying the idea (by adding further information) of the entire preceding sentence.

Hope that helps!
    Fiona
    Last edited by fiona bramble; 23-Nov-2007 at 04:00. Reason: spelling mistake