1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

"can't stand the wait"

In section A, Unit 41 of "English pronunciation in use" book, there is a conversation:
    A:I've just got this one bag.
    B: Wow! Do you always travel so light?
    A:Yeah. Can't stand the wait, you know, at the airport.
    B: Yeah, I know. My bag's really heavy. But it's got wheeks, so I don't have to carry it.
    A: No, I mean the waiting, you know, waiting for your cases to come out on the belt.

The speakers pronounce all the words clearly, but there is a misunderstanding because the words weight and wait have the some pronunciation. When Speaker B says heavy, Speaker A knows he understood weight, not wait, so she corrects the misunderstanding.
    I don't understand the sentence: "Yeah. Can't stand the wait, you know, at the airport.". So can you explain its meaning for me?
    What is the different between "can't stand the wait" and "can't stand to wait"?

And what does the sentence "can't stand the weight" mean? Is it correct?

Thank you in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: "can't stand the wait"

A:I've just got this one bag.
    B: Wow! Do you always travel so light?
    A:Yeah. Can't stand the wait, you know, at the airport.
    B: Yeah, I know. My bag's really heavy. But it's got wheeks, so I don't have to carry it.
    A: No, I mean the waiting, you know, waiting for your cases to come out on the belt.

The speakers pronounce all the words clearly, but there is a misunderstanding because the words weight and wait have the some pronunciation. When Speaker B says heavy, Speaker A knows he understood weight, not wait, so she corrects the misunderstanding.

I don't understand the sentence: "Yeah. Can't stand the wait, you know, at the airport.". So can you explain its meaning for me? Hasn’t ‘A’ already explained this in his last utterance: "No, I mean the waiting, you know, waiting for your cases to come out on the belt."

What is the different between "can't stand the wait" and "can't stand to wait"? The 1st ‘wait’ is a noun functioning as the object of the verb ‘stand’. The 2nd is an infinitive (verb infinite) acting like a noun and again is the object of the verb. I think there’s little difference in meaning between the two.

And what does the sentence "can't stand the weight" mean? Is it correct? Not in this context.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Thank you for your answer .

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhaheart View Post
    I don't understand the sentence: "Yeah. Can't stand the wait, you know, at the airport.". So can you explain its meaning for me? Hasn’t ‘A’ already explained this in his last utterance: "No, I mean the waiting, you know, waiting for your cases to come out on the belt."
    Yes, I know the meaning of "the wait". But I don't understand all the meaning of that sentence. Does she mean "her bag's so heavy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhaheart View Post
    What is the different between "can't stand the wait" and "can't stand to wait"? The 1st ‘wait’ is a noun functioning as the object of the verb ‘stand’. The 2nd is an infinitive (verb infinite) acting like a noun and again is the object of the verb. I think there’s little difference in meaning between the two.
    Would you tell me about the diffetence meaning between two sentences?
    Last edited by lihavim; 24-Nov-2007 at 00:52.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Anyone tell me about that sentence, please