• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

yet

Although many new energy efficient lighting systems are available, some are yet to be accepted by the market.

in my impression, "yet" is usually used in negtive sentence. but in this sentence, there is no negtive words such as "not". so i am not sure this sentence is negtive or positive. that is, some lighting systems are accepted by the market or not?

thanks

Re: yet

Quote Originally Posted by kat2006 View Post
    Although many new energy efficient lighting systems are available, some are yet to be accepted by the market.

In my impression, "yet" is usually used in negative sentence. but in this sentence, there is no negative words such as "not". So I am not sure this sentence is negative or positive. that is, some lighting systems are accepted by the market or not?

thanks
    It is an implied negative:

Some of the lighting systems have not - up to the time of writing the report - been accepted by purchasers of lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by kat2006 View Post

in my impression, "yet" is usually used in negtive sentence. but in this sentence, there is no negtive words such as "not". so i am not sure this sentence is negtive or positive. that is, some lighting systems are accepted by the market or not?

thanks
    Look at Anglika's corrections to your post.

"yet" means that up to the time of the writing they have not been adopted, but the writer thinks they eventually will be accepted.

So I don't think it is particularly negative....it is rather hopeful

Although many new energy efficient lighting systems are available, some may not be accepted by the market.

This would be negative.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

hi,

could i have used "still" rather than "yet" is that sentence?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    hi,

could i have used "still" rather than "yet" is that sentence?

thanks
    Yes, "still" could be used but it sounds a bit awkward and is not as good as using "yet".

You could say though

Although many new energy efficient lighting systems are available, some are still not accepted by the market.