Please Read The Question Carefully.

I DON'T CARE FROM A MEDICAL STANDPOINT; I CARE FROM AN ENGLISH STANDPOINT. FOR THE THIRD TIME, WOULD A COMMA GO BEFORE OR, AFTER OR, OR A COMMA BEFORE ALTERNATIVELY AND AFTER ALTERNATIVELY.

LET ME MAKE THIS EASIER FOR YOU.

CHOOSE WHICH LETTER IS CORRECT.

A, B, OR C.

A. If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then follow up will be obtained, or alternatively a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

B. If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then a follow up will be obtained or, alternatively a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

C. If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then a follow up will be obtained or, alternatively, a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

Please answer this for me.

Thank you,

Erin

Re: Please Read The Question Carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by erempa View Post
    I DON'T CARE FROM A MEDICAL STANDPOINT; I CARE FROM AN ENGLISH STANDPOINT. FOR THE THIRD TIME, WOULD A COMMA GO BEFORE OR, AFTER OR, OR A COMMA BEFORE ALTERNATIVELY AND AFTER ALTERNATIVELY.

LET ME MAKE THIS EASIER FOR YOU.

CHOOSE WHICH LETTER IS CORRECT.

A, B, OR C.

A. If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then follow up will be obtained, or alternatively a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

B. If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then a follow up will be obtained or, alternatively a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

C. If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then a follow up will be obtained or, alternatively, a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

Please answer this for me.

Thank you,

Erin
    I would temper your attitude a bit.

Opening a new thread is not the way to get our favour. I answered your question in another post. As far as commas go there is no need for extra commas. Neither A,B,C make this a better sentence. As I pointed out, I have a problem with your lack of articles from an English point of view. However, I do see another poster's point of view on potential change of meaning.

Lighten up Erin.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

First of all, choice B is wrong. A comma should never follow a coordinating conjunction. Second of all, in your sentence, or and alternatively mean the same thing, so you can omit one of them. If you choose to use both for emphasis, I would recommend punctuating it like this: "If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then follow up will be obtained, or, alternatively, a CT scan of the chest will be performed."

I think the best choice is to recast the sentence like this: If there remains a strong clinical concern for mass in the chest, then follow up will be obtained, or a CT scan of the chest will be performed.

Too much of the New York aggro rubbed off on you??
    I for one will not be responding to any of your posts in future. I don't expect external gratitude, but I had no idea to anticipate such arrogant dismissiveness.

Why do you care so much about the comma, mr erempa?