• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Am I right?

Would you verify if I'm correct about the following in bold?

1. You've heard it said, "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Is this saying "People are more concerned about how much you care and consider others than about how clever or competent you are?"

2. Fully 80 percent of everything that everyone is consuming today will be obsolete within five years. This means that fully 80 percent of all products and services being consumed in five years do not even exist today.

I think this means "fully 80 percent of all products and services which will be consumed after five years from now do not even exist today." But I wonder if the expression "being consumed in five years" can convey the meaning of "future."

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Would you verify if I'm correct about the following in bold?

1. You've heard it said, "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Is this saying "People are more concerned about how much you care and consider others than about how clever or competent you are?"
    Yep. That's pretty much it.

2. Fully 80 percent of everything that everyone is consuming today will be obsolete within five years. This means that fully 80 percent of all products and services being consumed in five years do not even exist today.

I think this means "fully 80 percent of all products and services which will be consumed after five years from now do not even exist today." But I wonder if the expression "being consumed in five years" can convey the meaning of "future."
    The phrase "being consumed in five years" might mean that it takes five years for the items to be used up. Instead, try:
    This means that fully 80 percent of all products and services that people will be using five years from now do not even exist today.

What do you think?

~R

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you for the help.

In your paraphrase, "fully 80% of all products and services that people will be using five years from now do not even exist today," is it saying "people will be using after five years from now," or "people will be using for five years from now"?

I think the former--after five years-- is more logical in the context. If so, isn't it the same as my original paraphrase--which will be consumed after five years from now?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you for the help.

In your paraphrase, "fully 80% of all products and services that people will be using five years from now do not even exist today," is it saying "people will be using after five years from now," or "people will be using for five years from now"?
    After five years from now. As for the other phrase, you can do something for five years (duration), but the phrase "for five years from now" doesn't make sense in English. However, take "for" out of that phrase and it does make sense.

I think the former--after five years-- is more logical in the context. If so, isn't it the same as my original paraphrase--which will be consumed after five years from now?
    I don't think so, but I will have to see the original sentence in its entirety to be sure. (Anyhow, the original can't be a paraphrase.)

~R

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re:

To me, "being consumed in five years" means it will take that long for the items to be used up. Also, "will be consumed after five years" means that they will be used up after five years.

~R

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

OK. Thank you for the explanation.