• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

consume (examples)

Would you check my sentences? I wonder if consume is used correctly.

a. His car consumes lots of gas.
    b. Professional athletes in their childhood didn't have too much time to hang out with friends; practicing consumed their time.

a. Several buildings were consumed in the earthquake.
    b. The head-on collision left both cars consumed.

4. The doctor has told her to consume more vegetables. (I wonder if consume here is considered formal to eat.)

5. He likes to live dangerously and tends to consume all his salary playing cards.

a. He's a huge gambler and consumes statistics.
    b. To become a great champion you have to consume tennis; if you are only determined to make a lot of money, you will fail.

7. "...pain that consumed her." It's a excerpt from an article. I wonder if consume can also be used if people are killing one another?
    The man who consumed two people was arrested yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

Re: consume (examples)

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Would you check my sentences? I wonder if consume is used correctly.

a. His car consumes lots of gas. means "uses"
    b. Professional athletes in their childhood didn't have too much time to hang out with friends; practicing consumed their time. means "occupied"

a. Several buildings were consumed in the earthquake. means the earth opened up and the buildings fell in or the buildings were totally reduced to rubble.
    b. The head-on collision left both cars consumed. this makes no real sense other than the feeling that both cars were demolished beyond recognition....but no one would say it this way.

4. The doctor has told her to consume more vegetables. (I wonder if consume here is considered formal to eat.) yes...it means to eat

5. He likes to live dangerously and tends to consume all his salary playing cards. not really, it is the playing of cards that is consuming his salary, not him... the sentence is better written this way.

He likes to live dangerously. However, playing cards tends to consume all his salary.

a. He's a huge gambler and consumes statistics. This makes little sense, unless you means that he uses statistics exclusively in the act of gambling. It is not clear from the sentence that this is what you mean.

b. To become a great champion you have to consume tennis; if you are only determined to make a lot of money, you will fail. I think you mean that you have to "eat, sleep and drink" tennis...in other words you do nothing else but practice tennis. "Consume" in this context does not really mean this

7. "...pain that consumed her." It's a excerpt from an article. I wonder if consume can also be used if people are killing one another?
    The man who consumed two people was arrested yesterday.

hahaha....the second one means the man literally ate people...he was a cannibal.

"...pain that consumed her" means that the pain was so strong she felt it everywhere in her body.

Thanks in advance.