• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

snog

Dear teachers,

I need again your magnanimous help.

I heard an excerpt of a vocabulary activity in BBC Radio where I found a completely indefinite for me word, namely "snog", which was missing in every available dictionary.

"I was coming out of the building and they were having a huge snog. "

Could you explain to me the meaning of that word? I have found an indication in my computer that this term have a few synonymous as "smooch" and "spoon". Now I have a notion about this term, but I am in doubt whether it is right. Maybe I have got a distorted picture of it.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Re: snog

To snog is to kiss passionately. A snog is a passionate kiss. You may kiss your mother but you certainly would not snog your mother.

Hope that helps.

Andy

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Your pictorial explanation comes up perfectly to my requirements, regarding explicating of the meaning of the term "snog".

Thank you for your attention.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 26-Nov-2007 at 10:27.

I'd like to add that the word "snog" is not very romantic. It's often used to mock people -- "Ha ha -- I saw you snogging with that girl yesterday!" When two lovers are sitting alone together watching the sunset, it would be inappropriate to use the verb "snog". Use "kiss" instead.

"Snog" is also British slang. Americans use the phrase "make out" to mean something similar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi rewboss,

Thank you for your further information concerning the meaning of the word "snog". Your further explanations contributed to the proper assimilation of the meaning of the discussing term. You feel the things and events in their bone. The quoted from me sentence is an excerpt from a malicious gossip, which was spread and got into circulation among the colleagues of the affected "adulterers."

Thank you for the obliging indication of the American equivalent of the term in question, namely the phrase "make out." Not till them I didn't grasp the proper meaning of this exotic term, namely "engage in sexual foreplay or intercourse."

Thank you again.

Regards.

V.