Would you please tell me what should I say:
1) “ to work in / at (?) a butcher / a butcher’s / a butchery / in a butcher shop (?)” (= dans une boucherie) in a butcher's
2) “a membership of actors” ? (= company ?) company is fine
3) “a tell-story” (does this expression exist ? = a folk-tale ?) I think some context might help here.
4) X wrote besides plays poems OR X wrote plays besides poems. OR Besides poems, X wrote plays.
5) The fact that John left / had left (?)[either is fine] his home town (native town = wrong?home town is more colloquial) is a blessing because if he didn’t / hadn’t he wouldn’t have had the chance to ...
6) they discovered / perceived the ??? of his talent. perceived the evidence
(= “symptoms” but in a positive sense)
7) Actors started to talk to him before becoming a well-known person.
(“becoming” here refers to “actors” or “him”?) I think "him" - Before he became famous, actors had started to talk to him.
8) "to perceive someone’s intelligence" ?
(= when talking to s.o. you can feel that they are intelligent) "became aware of xxxx's intelligence
9) “he is on his way to becoming famous” ?
(= he set his foot on the road to fame)
Thank you for your help,
Student or Learner