• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

what is "ladies' garden"?

Hello, everyone.
    While reading a novel about the late 19th century Dorset town, I came across this word: "ladies' garden"
    (the novel says "the old fishponds which were to be restocked, the bowling-green and the ladies’ garden arranged on an old-world plan by his grandmother, and maintained unchanged since her death")
    I checked every dictionary available in the library, but this word is not listed. I understand that noble families had a big house and a huge garden, and I suspect "ladies' garden" means a part of the huge garden where ladies gather and enjoy tea or something. I appreciate very much if you could give me some information about "ladies' garden". Thank you!!

Re: what is "ladies' garden"?

Exactly right. Though it's not a frequently used collocation. Which novel were you reading?

It's "The Nebuly Coat" by James Meade Falkner, and "the ladies's garden" seems to have been a flower garden designed for the ladies to use.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Hi, Clare James and Anglika.
    Thank you for your comments.
    Yes, as Anglika points out, the novel I read is "The Nebuly Coat", the last few chapters of which are extraordinarily thrilling, I think.