Are the questions right

Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me with the following sentences. Are they right?

-He ordered too to give the child into the custody of the FBI (where should I put the "too"?)
    -When they had to separate their lives, they were both very sad about that
    -The lawyer helped them to get out of troubles
    -He tried to kill himself (is a "by" necessay here?) inhaling the gas in his car
    -He's very protective with her son
    -Put someone to/in prison
    -Do you say "in the end of the story" or "at the end of the strory"?
    -They had been very closed together, and she had been always there, when Mark needed her
    -She is sa woman that didn't have/hasn't had a very successful life, she was divorced, and didn't see her children.
    -She tries her best for her customers
    -The police recommended a witness protection programme, so they don't get found by the Mafia.They are scared the Mafia will try and find them.

Thanks a million!!!!

Re: Are the questions right

Quote Originally Posted by silviasabater_2000 View Post
    Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me with the following sentences. Are they right?

-He ordered too to give the child into the custody of the FBI (where should I put the "too"?) Nowhere - the sentence is not grammatically correct. There seem to be two possible alternatives:
    He ordered that the child be given into the custody of the FBI
    He was ordered to give the child into the custody of the FBI
    -When they had to separate their lives, they were both very sad about that Grammatically ok, but it's not a natural sentence.
    -The lawyer helped them to get out of trouble Otherwise ok
    -He tried to kill himself (is a "by" necessay here?) inhaling the gas in his car Yes - but it is not clear because in the US petrol is known as gas. So "inhaling the exhaust fumes" would be clearer.
    -He's very protective with her son Grammatical.
    -Put someone to/in prison in prison
    -Do you say "in the end of the story" or "at the end of the story"?
    -They had been very close, and she had been always there when Mark needed her
    -She is a woman who didn't have/hasn't had a very successful life. She was divorced, and didn't see her children.
    -She tries her best for her customers ok
    -The police recommended a witness protection programme so they would not be found by the Mafia.They are scared the Mafia will try and find them.

Thanks a million!!!!

Re: Are the questions right

Better: He also ordered (them) to give the child over to the custody of...
    Better: When they had to go their separate ways, they were both very sad.
    ...get out of trouble (not troubles)
    "Inhaling the gas..." in North America gas is what you put in the tank as fuel; I believe the British call it "petrol". For the sentence to make sense here in Canada, you'd need something like "He tried to kill himself by inhaling carbon monoxide in his car." Yes, use "by", it sounds better, though not absolutely necessary.
    protective of
    They had been very close, and she had always been there when Mark needed her.
    -She is sa woman that didn't have/hasn't had a very successful life, she was divorced, and didn't see her children.
    She hasn't had a very successful life. She was divorced, and she hasn't seen her children for a long time. (Is this what you mean?)
    "She tries her best..." is perfectly good English. "She does her best..." might be just a little better.

The police recomended that they go into a witness protection program, so they won't be found by the mafia. They are afraid the mafia will try to find them. (Programme is a British spelling. "get" for the passive, as in get found, is slang, usually used with verbs of force or violence. He got killed, she got hurt, they got beaten... "Scared" colloquial; afraid sounds better to me. "try and", a colloquial form of the infinitive ""try to"; this is very common in speech by not common in writing.)

regards
    baqarah