• Post Thanks / Like

Position of Adverbial clauses

Are there any rules governing the position of adverbial clauses, i.e. in front of the main clause or after it? If yes, is there any special meaning for such position. For example,
    (i)The secretary worked late into the night, preparing a long speech for the president <=> Preparing al ong speech for the president,the secretary worked late into the night
    (ii)The fans waited for hours, hoping to see the movie star <=>Hoping to see the movie star,the fans waited for hours.
    (iii)Having studied the map, I know which way to go <=>I know which way to go, having studied the map.
    (iv)Hearing the news he jumped <=> He jumped, hearing the news.
    (v) Being unemployed, the man hasn't enough money to buy food <=>The man hasn't enough money to buy food, being unemployed.

Thanks for advice.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Position of Adverbial clauses

An adverb clause, like an ordinary adverb, can be shifted to different positions in a sentence. It may be placed at the beginning, at the end, or occasionally even in the middle of a sentence.

An adverb clause commonly appears after the main clause:
    Jill and I waited inside the Cup-A-Cabana Diner until the rain stopped.

However, if the action described in the adverb clause precedes the action in the main clause, it is logical to place the adverb clause at the beginning:

When Gus asked Merdine for a light, she set fire to his toupee.
    Placing an adverb clause at the beginning can help to create suspense as the sentence builds toward a main point:

As I shuffled humbly out the door and down the front steps, my eyes to the ground, I felt that my pants were baggy, my shoes several sizes too large, and the tears were coursing down either side of a huge putty nose.

When working with two adverb clauses, you may want to place one in front of the main clause and the other behind it:

When a bus skidded into a river just outside of New Delhi, all 78 passengers drowned because they belonged to two separate castes and refused to share the same rope to climb to safety.