• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile Parodoxically, it's on the smoothest way that we'll stumble on the life's journey

Parodoxically, it's on the smoothest road that we stumble most often on the life's journey as opposed to on the roughest, rigidest part.

I would use the above as my signature line, but I need your revision. Thanks.

Re: Parodoxically, it's on the smoothest way that we'll stumble on the life's journey

Paradoxically, on life's journey we stumble most often on the road that is smoothest, and not on the parts that are rough and rigid.

This is my suggestion. "Roughest and most rigid" would sound ugly; too many "st" sounds.
    A few two-syllable words the superlative form with -est", especially if they end in "y" (ugliest, happiest, wealthiest, etc.) But you can't say "rigidest"; it would have to be "most rigid."
    Same is true of other two and three syllable adjectives and adverbs: most frightening, most interesting, most awful, most expensive, most often...

regards
    edward

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Parodoxically, it's on the smoothest road that we stumble most often on the life's journey as opposed to on the roughest, rigidest part.

I would use the above as my signature line, but I need your revision. Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile Re: Parodoxically, it's on the smoothest way that we'll stumble on the life's journey

Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    Paradoxically, on life's journey we stumble most often on the road that is smoothest, and not on the parts that are rough and rigid.

This is my suggestion. "Roughest and most rigid" would sound ugly; too many "st" sounds.
    A few two-syllable words the superlative form with -est", especially if they end in "y" (ugliest, happiest, wealthiest, etc.) But you can't say "rigidest"; it would have to be "most rigid."
    Same is true of other two and three syllable adjectives and adverbs: most frightening, most interesting, most awful, most expensive, most often...

regards
    edward

Thanks, Edward.

Your version reads much nicer and makes more sense than mine. I like it except that I think "but" instead of "and" sounds better to my ear.

Paradoxically, on life's journey we stumble most often on the road that is smoothest, but not on the parts that are rough and rigid.

Re: Parodoxically, it's on the smoothest way that we'll stumble on the life's journey

Thanks, Edward.

Your version reads much nicer and makes more sense than mine. I like it except that I think "but" instead of "and" sounds better to my ear.

Paradoxically, on life's journey we stumble most often on the road that is smoothest, but not on the parts that are rough and rigid.
    "But" sounds wrong to me here. You don't really need a connective here, you could delete "and." But the meter is better with "and":

we STUMble most OFTen on the ROAD that is SMOOTHest, and NOT on the PARTS that are ROUGH and RIGID.

I suggest you read it aloud a few times, try to catch the rhythm. Two unstressed syllable + one stressed syllables is called an "anapest"; it's one of the most common meters in English.

regards
    edward a.k.a. baqarah

"...not on the parts that are rough and ridged".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    "But" sounds wrong to me here. You don't really need a connective here, you could delete "and." But the meter is better with "and":

we STUMble most OFTen on the ROAD that is SMOOTHest, and NOT on the PARTS that are ROUGH and RIGID.

I suggest you read it aloud a few times, try to catch the rhythm. Two unstressed syllable + one stressed syllables is called an "anapest"; it's one of the most common meters in English.

regards
    edward a.k.a. baqarah
    Thanks, baqarah.
    What an expert you are at meter and rhythm! And I assume you're right about that.
    As an aside, are "meter" and "rhythm" all but identical?

One more thing, sorry to beg to differ because I still can't figure out why and in the base sentence sounds better than but.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "...not on the parts that are rough and ridged".
    Thanks, Anglika.
    Rigid is the wrong word, I know.

Thanks for the compliment.
    I don't know the technical meaning for certain, but in colloquial speech "meter" refers to speech and poetry, rhythm refers mostly to music.)
    Sorry, but you can't use "but", unless you drop the word "most", which I don't think you should.
    I can't say why. It's just my Anglo ear.
    If you're unhappy with rough and rigid, you could try:
    rugged and rocky
    rugged and rough
    rough and rocky

regards
    edward (a.k.a. baqarah)

Thanks, baqarah.
    What an expert you are at meter and rhythm! And I assume you're right about that.
    As an aside, are "meter" and "rhythm" all but identical?

One more thing, sorry to beg to differ because I still can't figure out why and in the base sentence sounds better than but.

Thanks, Anglika.
    Rigid is the wrong word, I know.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thanks, baqarah.