is a...is a...is a...is a

I read this sentence from a news paper that "A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose". As mentioned there it must be a popular quote but I doubt on the grammar of this. Could someone make me understand? If it is correct give me some more similar sentences which can be used in day to day life.

Re: is a...is a...is a...is a

It's a quotation from a poem written in 1913 by an American modernist poet called Gertrude Stein. (There's a website all about her on Gertrude Stein Online )

She had a very odd relationship with grammar and as a poet was interested in exploring the effects of disrupting the normal patterns of language use.

As with most poetry, it sounds a bit peculiar if you start to use it in everyday English!

Quote Originally Posted by Clare James View Post
    It's a quotation from a poem written in 1913 by an American modernist poet called Gertrude Stein.
    Ah, Gertrude Stein -- she was the one who didn't believe in punctuation, wasn't she?

As a matter of fact, this construction is occasionally used to mean: "You can't differentiate between different types of this object," although we normally only say it two or three times.

For example, "A rose is a rose is a rose" would mean, "All roses are the same".

Thanks for your valuable replys.