Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sentence Meaning

hi...plz help me in understanding these following sentences also with the proper explanation in red...i shall be very grateful to you...thanks! :)

1) I have known people, left out of meetings that had almost negligible relevance to them, become incandescent over what they perceived as deliberate downgrading attempts.

2) Always read the agenda and papers before a meeting and, without taking up an inflexible position, clarify your thoughts as to what you would like to achieve from the meeting.

3) Don't overcommit yourself. Meetings are a bit like auctions. In the to and fro of discussion it's easy to get carried away and make undertakings you later regret. There's a natural wish to make a good impression in front of colleagues, but don't let yourself be tempted into taking on too many responsibilities or offering unrealistic target dates for completion of work.

4) The first important point about delegation is that it should not be a knee-jerk reaction to your own overload. It isn't a matter of offloading tasks you don't want to do, but a contribution to overall productivity by placing reponsibility and the neccessary authority and resources where they can be discharged most effectively.

5) Read the first and last para of document. Now, when you move to read the document properly, you will be filling in the gaps rather than starting with a blank sheet. You will know which are the parts you need to concentrate on, and which you can blast thorugh or skip together.

Re: Sentence Meaning

inflexible position = your mind is set on a particular solution

Meetings are a bit like auctions is explained in the next sentence... "In the to and fro of discussion it's easy to get carried away and make undertakings you later regret." An auction sale is one in which the price for an object is bid higher and higher. If you get caught up in the auction process you might pay too high a price for the object.

knee-jerk reaction = a quick or hasty reaction usually negative

you will be filling in the gaps rather than starting with a blank sheet A blank sheet is a starting point. Filling the gaps means that you already have an outline or idea and all you have to do is to develop or refine the idea.

thank you very much carl for the help...i also want the explanation of the sentence no. 1 :)

Please check if Iíve really understood the meaning of above sentences....thanks! :)

2) After reading the papers and agenda donít set your mind on a particular solution before going to the meeting but clarify the main points that would be discussed in the meeting on agenda.

3) The meaning of this sentence is that people should avoid getting carried away in the discussion and making promises that they canít deliver. If they have time in their schedule then only take the responsibility for performing it otherwise donít take the responsibility. Similarly, an auction sale is one in which the price for an object is bid higher and higher. If you get caught up in the auction process you might pay too high a price for the object. So, only promise what you can deliver.

4) The meaning of this sentence is that delegation shouldnít be a hasty activity but a well planned activity for offloading tasks to our subordinates that suits them the most.

5) After reading the first and last paragraph of document youíll have an outline or idea of it. When youíll read the document properly youíll then only have to develop or refine the idea and will know what parts you need to focus more and which to skip.

Well then, let us look at sentence number 1 and some things that might be causing you problems

"1) I have known people, left out of meetings that had almost negligible relevance to them, become incandescent over what they perceived as deliberate downgrading attempts."

The phrase "negligible relevance" in this sentence means "no meaning or necessity". The phrase "become incandescent" in this sentence means to become "very angry" [Explanation: A definition of incandescent is: "luminous with intense heat". If you have ever seen a very angry person you might notice that they become red in the face or (incandescent). You will also find that angry people are referred to as being "hot". I think the author chose "incandescent" in this case to express that the person was both red in the face and hot (in an angry sense)]

Now we can rewrite the sentence:
    I have known people, left out of meetings that had almost no meaning or necessity to them, become very angry over what they perceived as deliberate downgrading attempts."

I hope this helped

Please tell me if the meanings of 4 sentences that i mentioned above are right.

what is the meaning of "deliberate downgrading attempts"?

Quote Originally Posted by contractor2007 View Post
    Please tell me if the meanings of 4 sentences that i mentioned above are right.

what is the meaning of "deliberate downgrading attempts"?
    deliberate is with purpose. to downgrade means to reduce in stature and an attempt is a trial so this means to try and purposefully reduce stature.

Please check if the following meanings of sentences are correct? If not, please correct it for me. Thanks a lot! :)

1) Sentence: I have known people, left out of meetings that had almost negligible relevance to them, become incandescent over what they perceived as deliberate downgrading attempts.

Meaning: I have known people, left out of meetings that had almost no meaning or necessity to them, become very angry over what they perceived when people purposefully reduce stature.

2) Sentence: Always read the agenda and papers before a meeting and, without taking up an inflexible position, clarify your thoughts as to what you would like to achieve from the meeting.

Meaning: After reading the papers and agenda donít set your mind on a particular solution before going to the meeting but clarify the main points that would be discussed in the meeting on agenda.

3) Sentence: Don't overcommit yourself. Meetings are a bit like auctions. In the to and fro of discussion it's easy to get carried away and make undertakings you later regret. There's a natural wish to make a good impression in front of colleagues, but don't let yourself be tempted into taking on too many responsibilities or offering unrealistic target dates for completion of work.

Meaning: The meaning of this sentence is that people should avoid getting carried away in the discussion and making promises that they canít deliver. If they have time in their schedule then only take the responsibility for performing it otherwise donít take the responsibility. Similarly, an auction sale is one in which the price for an object is bid higher and higher. If you get caught up in the auction process you might pay too high a price for the object. So, only promise what you can deliver.

4) Sentence: The first important point about delegation is that it should not be a knee-jerk reaction to your own overload. It isn't a matter of offloading tasks you don't want to do, but a contribution to overall productivity by placing reponsibility and the neccessary authority and resources where they can be discharged most effectively.

Meaning: The meaning of this sentence is that delegation shouldnít be a hasty activity but a well planned activity for offloading tasks to our subordinates that suits them the most.

5) Sentence: Read the first and last para of document. Now, when you move to read the document properly, you will be filling in the gaps rather than starting with a blank sheet. You will know which are the parts you need to concentrate on, and which you can blast thorugh or skip together.

Meaning: After reading the first and last paragraph of document youíll have an outline or idea of it. When youíll read the document properly youíll then only have to develop or refine the idea and will know what parts you need to focus more and which to skip.

what is meant by global war on terror? How can it be controlled? Please explain in detail with 3 or 4 examples. Thanks! :)

what is meant by "global war on terror"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast