Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    whichever

    Dear teachers,

    I came across a sentence. Could you please explain if the sentence is correct or not?

    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.

    I have difficulty understanding the function of 'which'. I think the sentence should be:

    I will take whichever dictionary that is useful. Is that right? I think so because 'whichever' serves as an adjective and is followed by a noun.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #2

    Re: whichever

    There are different views about the grammatical form:
    The American Heritage would agree with you: whichever. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
    Cambridge and Oxford call it a determiner:
    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press
    AskOxford: whichever

    However, I would not use 'that' in the sentence.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #3

    Re: whichever

    Re:
    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.
    I agree with Tdol. I would not use "that" after "dictionary" in that sentence.

    ~R

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #4

    Re: whichever


    Dear Tdol,

    Thank you very much for your explanation and help. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    There are different views about the grammatical form:
    The American Heritage would agree with you: whichever. The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
    Cambridge and Oxford call it a determiner:
    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press
    AskOxford: whichever

    However, I would not use 'that' in the sentence.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #5

    Re: whichever


    Dear RonBee,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Re:
    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.
    I agree with Tdol. I would not use "that" after "dictionary" in that sentence.

    ~R


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #6

    Re: whichever

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I came across a sentence. Could you please explain if the sentence is correct or not?

    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.

    I have difficulty understanding the function of 'which'. I think the sentence should be:

    I will take whichever dictionary that is useful. Is that right? I think so because 'whichever' serves as an adjective and is followed by a noun.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.

    nominal relative clause serves as the object of 'take'
    whichever = modifies 'dictionary(=noun)' --> adjective, nominal relative pronoun.

    I will take whichever dictionary (that) is useful.
    'Whichever' means 'any dictionary that',
    any one from a limited set. The limitation is established by the word 'useful'. So 'that' (that = another limiting (restrictive) word) is redundant.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #7

    Re: whichever

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.

    nominal relative clause serves as the object of 'take'
    whichever = modifies 'dictionary(=noun)' --> adjective, nominal relative pronoun.

    I will take whichever dictionary (that) is useful.
    'Whichever' means 'any dictionary that',
    any one from a limited set. The limitation is established by the word 'useful'. So 'that' (that = another limiting (restrictive) word) is redundant.
    Excellent!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #8

    Re: whichever


    Dear svartnik,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Best wishes,

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    I will take whichever dictionary is useful.

    nominal relative clause serves as the object of 'take'
    whichever = modifies 'dictionary(=noun)' --> adjective, nominal relative pronoun.

    I will take whichever dictionary (that) is useful.
    'Whichever' means 'any dictionary that',
    any one from a limited set. The limitation is established by the word 'useful'. So 'that' (that = another limiting (restrictive) word) is redundant.

Similar Threads

  1. Whichever one of you
    By Grablevskij in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2007, 09:16
  2. whichever
    By curious in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2006, 21:30
  3. Whichever occurs later
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2005, 12:45
  4. whichever and whoever
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2005, 02:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •