1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Tenses

Please, correct the used tenses und tell me why they are wrong !!!

Dr Graham Jones-Carr war removed from his home yesterday. This was unusual because his home for the pervious four months had been (be) Heathrow Airport. Dr Jones-Carr moved (move) into Heathrow, the world’s busiest airport, as part of an experiment on modern living conditions. He wanted (want) to find out if it was possible to live comfortably inside one of the terminal buildings. He did not tell (not tell) the authorities about his work because he thought (think) they would not cooperate. Until yesterday he used (use) two left luggage lockers as his wardrobes, he ate (eat) his meals in the restaurants and cafes and he did (do) his washing in the public toilets. Dr Jones-Carr had originally planned (originally planned) to live at Heathrow for just two weeks, but he liked (like) it so much that he extended (extend) his stay. “I always found (always find) interesting people to talk to and I had (have) everything I needed (need)” he said. He was discovered when a security camera had shown (show) that he slept (sleep) in the same place for the last eight nights. At the beginning of his stay he used (use) different places each night to avoid detection, but he found (find)one seat particularly comfortable and decided (decide) to make it his home. Security guards then were watching (watch) hours of video tape to discover the pattern of his movements before phoning the police. The police arrested(arrest) him while he was having (have) his morning shower. Superintendent Brian Smith said “We took(take) action in case he had planned (plan)terrorist activities. It looked(look) very suspicious but actually he did (do) anything wrong and he agreed (agree) to leave the airport peacefully. The matter is closed.

Thank you
    Lindi

Re: Tenses

Dr Graham Jones-Carr was removed from his home yesterday. This was unusual because his home for the pervious four months had been (be) Heathrow Airport. Dr Jones-Carr moved (move) into Heathrow, the world’s busiest airport, as part of an experiment in modern living conditions. He wanted (want) to find out if it was possible to live comfortably inside one of the terminal buildings. He did not tell (not tell) the authorities about his work because he thought (think) they would not cooperate. Until yesterday, he used (use) two left luggage lockers as his wardrobes, he ate (eat) his meals in the restaurants and cafes and (he) did (do) his washing in the public toilets. Dr Jones-Carr had originally planned (originally planned) to live at Heathrow for just two weeks, but he liked (like) it so much that he extended (extend) his stay. “I always found (always find) interesting people to talk to and I had (have) everything I needed (need)” he said. He was discovered when a security camera showed (show) that he had slept in the same place for the last eight nights. At the beginning of his stay he had used (use) different places each night to avoid detection, but he found (find)one seat particularly comfortable and decided (decide) to make it his home. Security guards then watched (watch) hours of video tape to discover the pattern of his movements before phoning the police. The police arrested(arrest) him while he was having (have) his morning shower. Superintendent Brian Smith said “We took(take) action in case he planned/was planning (plan)terrorist activities. It looked(look) very suspicious but actually he did not do (do) anything wrong and he agreed (agree) to leave the airport peacefully. The matter is closed.

NOW - have a go at telling me why I have suggested the changes above. Then we can discuss it!

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Hello,

thank you very much for your help. Here I tried to find the rules for your correction. Please tell me if I am right or wrong.

He was discovered when a security camera showed (show) that he had slept in the same place for the last eight nights.

showed first he was discover and than showed
    past happened one after another

had slept completed action before something in the past he
    had slept there before the camera showed it

Security guards then watched (watch) hours of video tape to discover the pattern of his movements before phoning the police.

watched past happened one after another
    first they wachted than they phoned the police

Superintendent Brian Smith said “We took(take) action in case he planned/was planning (plan) terrorist activities. It looked (look) very suspicious but actually he did not do (do) anything wrong and he agreed (agree) to leave the airport peacefully. The matter is closed.

was planning depends what we want to express: emphasis the
    action of planning (simple past cont.) or only mentions
    the fact of planning (simple past)

did not do the past happened one after
    first they thought/it looked like something suspicious
    and than they found out that he did not do..

He was discovered when a security camera showed (show) that he had slept in the same place for the last eight nights.

showed first he was discover and than showed
    past happened one after another
    EXACTLY

had slept completed action before something in the past- he
    had slept there before the camera showed it
    EXACTLY

Security guards then watched (watch) hours of video tape to discover the pattern of his movements before phoning the police.

watched past happened one after another
    first they wachted than they phoned the police
    Nicht 'wachen/wachten'! (lol) 'watched'
    EXACTLY SO
    Superintendent Brian Smith said “We took(take) action in case he planned/was planning (plan) terrorist activities. It looked (look) very suspicious but actually he did not do (do) anything wrong and he agreed (agree) to leave the airport peacefully. The matter is closed.

was planning depends what we want to express: emphasis the
    action of planning (simple past cont.) or only mentions
    the fact of planning (simple past)
    Sehr gut.

did not do -the past happened one after
    first they thought/it looked like something suspicious
    and than they found out that he did not do..
    FABELHAFT
    You will soon speak English like a native - I still have only a smattering of deutsch.