Quickly

If this is incorrect, will you please provide a short explanation for why it is incorrect? My 15 year old brother corrected me this morning, but he could not provide an explanation. :)

"I'm going to jump in the shower quickly"

Re: Quickly

Quote Originally Posted by CassidyJensInc View Post
    If this is incorrect, will you please provide a short explanation for why it is incorrect? My 15 year old brother corrected me this morning, but he could not provide an explanation. :)

A fast answer would be that the adverb should be a close as possible to the verb it is modifying in order to avoid ambiguity:
    I'm going to quickly jump in the shower
    Although this sentence could be just as funny as watching someone jump quickly up and down in the shower I think this particular sentence is awkward because of the idiomatic and literal meanings of "jump"!
    Hope that helps,
    Fiona

Welcome to the forums.

As a colloquial spoken sentence, it seems fine to me.

It could also be "I am quickly going to jump in the shower" OR "I am going to quickly jump in the shower".

Thank you very much for the help. It makes much more sense now :) It's exciting to be a part of the forums; English excites me, and I'm eager to get back into as I prepare for "back to college @ 23" for an English major? I'm a little rusty, so my fingers are crossed with hope that it will feel natural once again.

Thank you very much for the help. It makes much more sense now :) It's exciting to be a part of the forums; English excites me, and I'm eager to get back into as I prepare for "back to college @ 23" for an English major? I'm a little rusty, so my fingers are crossed with hope that it will feel natural once again.

Good luck to you on your new adventure!

Fiona

Welcome to this wonderful forum.
    It's really great decision you make, I must say Bravo cuz I love persons that are full of hope and courage.
    Good luck Cassidy.
    all the best.