• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

sentences you say when shopping

hi,

i had a hard time last time i traveled to an English-spoken country, trying to communicate with people, and i wonder if some of the sentences i said sounded stupid for the natives:

1) i had to pay for the shuttle to take me to the airport and i asked to the attendant: "do i have to pay before?". should i have said "do i have to pay in advance?"?

2) i was looking for a very specific winter coat and i asked: "hi, do you have jackets for heavy winter?"

3) when the guy brought the winter coat i checked the inside and noticed it wasn't the way i wanted. then, i asked him "don't you have a jacket with the inside covered with a fabric like...?".

4) i wanted to get a film developed and i said "i would like to process the film". was it too stupid?

thanks a lot.
    jc

Re: sentences you say when shopping

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    hi,

I had a hard time last time i traveled to an English-speaking country, trying to communicate with people, and I wonder if some of the sentences I said sounded stupid for the natives:

1) I had to pay for the shuttle to take me to the airport and i asked to the attendant: "Do I have to pay before?". Should i have said "Do i have to pay in advance?"? yes

2) I was looking for a very specific winter coat and I asked: "Hi, do you have jackets for heavy winter?" "Do you have heavy winter coats?" "Do you have thick winter coats?" [You say "a very specific winter coat" - so perhaps "I am looking for a down-filled winter coat"/"I am looking for a double-weight winter coat"/"I am looking for a vicuna winter coat"]

3) When the guy brought the winter coat W checked the inside and noticed it wasn't the way I wanted. Then, T asked him "Don't you have a jacket with the inside covered with a fabric like...?". "Do you perhaps have one with a padded/fleecy lining?"

4) i wanted to get a film developed and I said "I would like to process the film". Was it too stupid? That says you will do the work. "I would like to have this film processed/developed".

thanks a lot.
    jc

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

How bad was “Hi, do you have jackets for heavy winter?" ?

Thanks again,
    JC

Not "bad" but funny - "heavy winter" is not something we would expect to say.

1. "pay in advance" is correct, or "pay now."

2. Do you have heavy winter jackets?

3. [You'd have to be more specific about what you're looking for.]

4. I'd like to have this film developed and printed.
    [But why are you still using film?]

good luck!
    edward
    hi,

i had a hard time last time i traveled to an English-spoken country, trying to communicate with people, and i wonder if some of the sentences i said sounded stupid for the natives:

1) i had to pay for the shuttle to take me to the airport and i asked to the attendant: "do i have to pay before?". should i have said "do i have to pay in advance?"?

2) i was looking for a very specific winter coat and i asked: "hi, do you have jackets for heavy winter?"

3) when the guy brought the winter coat i checked the inside and noticed it wasn't the way i wanted. then, i asked him "don't you have a jacket with the inside covered with a fabric like...?".

4) i wanted to get a film developed and i said "i would like to process the film". was it too stupid?

thanks a lot.
    jc

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    1.[But why are you still using film?]
    edward
    hi,

can you believe i forgot to take my camera with me last time traveled to NYC?

i had to use one of that cameras that are bought at drugstores. the camera is sealed, comes already loaded with a film and u can get it developed at the same drugstore as well.

awful pictures, but, at least, some pictures.

how do u say these kind of camera?

regards,
    jc

Disposable cameras [I've got two waiting for processing now - much less trouble than either film or digital cameras!]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

hi,

When he brought you the wrong type of coat, you should have clarified "I would like a coat with a lining" and then specify what type of lining - fleece? flannel?

I think most sales people are willing to work with you when they realize that English isn't your first language, so don't be shy about just explaining as best you can ("I would like a warm coat for cold winter weather.")

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    When he brought you the wrong type of coat, you should have clarified "I would like a coat with a lining" and then specify what type of lining - fleece? flannel?

I think most sales people are willing to work with you when they realize that English isn't your first language, so don't be shy about just explaining as best you can ("I would like a warm coat for cold winter weather.")

thanks a lot.
    jc