• Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Brink of survival?

Dear forum members,

A) I recently heard someone say: "It has taken them to the brink of SURVIVAL"

Does this make sense? or was it a slip of the tongue - the usual expression is "Brink of extinction"

B) Can the word NONE be used to mean "there is no food left" eg "There is none left"

This is a phrase i often hear but i don't think you can really say "There is NOT ONE food left", which is what NONE means, yet the alternatives sound long-winded: "There isn't any left" or "There is no food left"

Re: Brink of survival?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Togher View Post
    Dear forum members,

A) I recently heard someone say: "It has taken them to the brink of SURVIVAL"

Does this make sense? or was it a slip of the tongue - the usual expression is "Brink of extinction" Without context - they probably meant to say extinction but were thinking about survival so the wrong word came out.

B) Can the word NONE be used to mean "there is no food left" eg "There is none left"

This is a phrase i often hear but i don't think you can really say "There is NOT ONE food left", which is what NONE means, yet the alternatives sound long-winded: "There isn't any left" or "There is no food left" Generally I would say "There isn't any", presuming that there was a question asked "Is there any food left?" If the question was "Is there no food left?", the answer would be, "No, nothing".