• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

demean, demeaning

Dear teachers,

Recently I read a popular verse of the Bible (Matthew 5:41)

"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twine."

Immediately after that, I read an article concerning the explanation of the root of the matter of the mentioned above verse, which involved an ambiguous word, namely "demeaning." (Please see the following below excerpt of this article.)

"No one likes to be made to do someone else's work. At the very least, we are apt to complain, argue, or simply refuse to be so used. Being compelled to engage in "community service" by law or by might is demeaning and perhaps unjust. But Jesus tells us to take the stink out of the situation by being willing to carry such a burden an extra mile in a cheerful attitude."

The root word of the "demeaning" is "demean". Unexpectedly arose a doubt in my mind. There were two disparate meanings in my Dictionary: on the one hand "to conduct or behave oneself well, honesty and on the second hand "to humiliate o's, to abase/debase o's, stoop, lower o's etc.

It is as plainly as anything that the only proper meaning of the word "demeaning" is "degrading". But I couldn't understand the presence of this
    discord in the root word "demean".

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Re: demean, demeaning

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Recently I read a popular verse of the Bible (Matthew 5:41)

"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twine."twain" >> twice as far

Immediately after that, I read an article concerning the explanation of the root of the matter of the mentioned above verse, which involved an ambiguous word, namely "demeaning." (Please see the following below excerpt of this article.)

"No one likes to be made to do someone else's work. At the very least, we are apt to complain, argue, or simply refuse to be so used. Being compelled to engage in "community service" by law or by might is demeaning and perhaps unjust. But Jesus tells us to take the stink out of the situation by being willing to carry such a burden an extra mile in a cheerful attitude."

The root word of the "demeaning" is "demean". Unexpectedly arose a doubt in my mind. There were two disparate meanings in my Dictionary: on the one hand "to conduct or behave oneself well, honesty and on the second hand "to humiliate o's, to abase/debase o's, stoop, lower o's etc.

It is as plainly as anything that the only proper meaning of the word "demeaning" is "degrading". But I couldn't understand the presence of this
    discord in the root word "demean".

I think this is a bit strong. Demeaning is the loss of dignity or doing something that is beneath one's dignity [and I would argue that it is not demeaning to be required to do community service which is usually imposed for anti-social behaviour], whereas degrading is the total loss of self-respect, humiliation.

Demeaning does not necessarily indicate humiliation.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.
    You do come up with some interesting questions!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: demean, demeaning

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your estimable directing and sobering explanatory notes. I will take in consideration your rectifying and imploring sociological ratiocinations.

Thank you again for your attention.

Regards.

V.