• China
      • Current Location:
      • China

where and which

Dear teachers,

I have two questions:

No.1
    Please read the following sentence:

These young scholars come from the famour Yuelu Academy, where knowledge and learning are greatly respected.

My question is: Can I replace 'where' with 'in which'?

No.2

Could you please tell me which is the opposite of ' the next day'? I think it should be 'the previous day' but the key is 'the previous night'. Could you please kindly explain why my answer is wrong?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 06-Dec-2007 at 14:27.

Re: where and which

For your first question, yes you can replace 'where' with 'in which' in this sentence, though it sounds very formal.

For your second question, you aren't wrong - the problem is with the question in your book. For example, if you ask most people what the opposite of a hot drink is, they'll probably answer 'a cold drink' - not a' cold meal'. If you ask what the opposite of 'a good girl' is, most people would say 'a bad girl', not 'a bad boy'. Don't worry about it! It was just a slightly lazy materials writer!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: where and which

Dear Clare,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand them.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clare James View Post
    For your first question, yes you can replace 'where' with 'in which' in this sentence, though it sounds very formal.

For your second question, you aren't wrong - the problem is with the question in your book. For example, if you ask most people what the opposite of a hot drink is, they'll probably answer 'a cold drink' - not a' cold meal'. If you ask what the opposite of 'a good girl' is, most people would say 'a bad girl', not 'a bad boy'. Don't worry about it! It was just a slightly lazy materials writer!