Baksheesh

Hello
    i have two questions:

1-Do you use the word baksheesh in everyday speaking?
    i just encountered this persian word yesterday and want to know whether i can use it in my conversations and if it's OK,does it usually mean grant,grace,gift or tip or bribe?

2-Is it me myself or I myself?

Thanks a lot,
    Amir(atlaisha)

Re: Baksheesh

I first encountered this word in Egypt many years ago. As soon as someone does the slightest favour for you in some countries (eg "Is this the right platform for the train to Luxor?") their hand is out, insisting on some monetary return for the information they gave...even if it's, "I don't know." !!! (OK, slight exaggeration.)
    In Western countries, the two words you need to understand are "tip" and "bribe".
    I'm sure that another respondent will explain the difference. If not, I'll do that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I first encountered this word in Egypt many years ago. As soon as someone does the slightest favour for you in some countries (eg "Is this the right platform for the train to Luxor?") their hand is out, insisting on some monetary return for the information they gave...even if it's, "I don't know." !!! (OK, slight exaggeration.)
    In Western countries, the two words you need to understand are "tip" and "bribe".
    I'm sure that another respondent will explain the difference. If not, I'll do that tomorrow.
    Thanks David,i'm looking forward to that.
    Just to let everyone know,in Persian it means grant,charity and forgiveness.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

baksheesh(spelled bakchich or bakhchich in French) is quite commonly used and is understood as a tip given but sometimes illegally , a bribe indeed. Yet, French is not the point here , I presume.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

It's also used in Turkish as "bahşiş" /bʌhʃɪʃ/ meaning bribe or tip. I guess it was borrowed from French.

WOW,i never thought it's also entered those languages,it's great.

It's also used in Turkish as "bahşiş" /bʌhʃɪʃ/ meaning bribe or tip. I guess it was borrowed from French.
    Maybe not from French,because Persian and Turkish have many similar words that obviously shows the close connection between the two countries through the centuries.
    there are so many commone words that when a Turkish is speaking,we can understand some words clearly.I guess it's more probable that the word originally comes from Persian than French,don't you think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

You are right then, atlaisha :)

Quote Originally Posted by atlaisha View Post
    Hello
    i have two questions:

1-Do you use the word baksheesh in everyday speaking?
    i just encountered this persian word yesterday and want to know whether i can use it in my conversations and if it's OK,does it usually mean grant,grace,gift or tip or bribe?

2-Is it me myself or I myself?

Thanks a lot,
    Amir(atlaisha)
    I can only speak for myself here but in Canada we are aware of this word through talking to others who have traveled to the Middle East.

It is a term associated with the asking for money or begging.

We don't use the word as such in our language.

Is it 'me myself' or 'I myself'?

Understand that a speaker using these words is doing so for a pointed reason (because the use of both pronouns stresses the 'egocentric' orientation towards the speaker. Anyway, look as these sentences"

I thought we were going to have a pleasant day sight-seeing in Paris. She, however, thought that this entailed dragging me from one end of the Louvre to the other, educating me in the finer points of every damn period in art history since some caveman first used a finger dipped in mud. I myself would have been content with a baguette on the Champs Elysees and a French dirty postcard.

...dipped in mud. As for me myself, I would have been content with...