I am on maternity leave, but my company want me to back to work early

hi

I am still on maternity leave, and should be back to work on January 2008, but now my company ask me to back to work early. I can back to work early starting on Dec 17, but I planed to go to trip for Christmas vacation, so I also want to off Dec 27 & 28. And one more important thing, I want to request to raise my salary.

Could you help me to create a email to send it to my boss?

Thank you

Re: I am on maternity leave, but my company want me to back to work early

Welcome to the forums.

Hmm.

You might be wise not to raise both your extended leave AND a pay rise in the same e-mail. Also, will you have to offer to take your leave as unpaid leave?

For the first:

I am going to be returning to work on 17th December. However, I have already committed myself to going away at Christmas, and will therefore need to take 27th/28th December as leave/holiday. I hope this will be acceptable.

For the second:

Dear xxxxxx,

In the New Year, I would like to arrange to meet with you in order to discuss my salary. Please let me know the best date and time for us to get together.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Hmm.

You might be wise not to raise both your extended leave AND a pay rise in the same e-mail. Also, will you have to offer to take your leave as unpaid leave?

For the first:

I am going to be returning to work on 17th December. However, I have already committed myself to going away at Christmas, and will therefore need to take 27th/28th December as leave/holiday. I hope this will be acceptable.

For the second:

Dear xxxxxx,

In the New Year, I would like to arrange to meet with you in order to discuss my salary. Please let me know the best date and time for us to get together.

Thank you.
    Hi Anglika,

Thanks for your reply.

For the unpaid leave, I can offer it. So I should write "and will therefore need to take 27th/28th December as a unpaid leave" is it okay?
    For my salary, I'd like to ask a raise for my salary at the same time of this email, because this is a good time to ask for a raise.

Can I use this? Please let me know is it right for this email.

"I would like to discuss my salary. May I suggest a raise of $33,000 for my annual income?"

I am not sure how to put it to my email after the back to work noticed.

Thanks
    Last edited by C Lam; 07-Dec-2007 at 16:55. Reason: I miss to answer the question

Yes, your sentence about unpaid leave is fine.

Although I am not fully aware of your working situation and relationship with your company, I seriously do not think you should combine the two matters.

Normally an e-mail saying I want xxxx amount more in salary [which is what you effectively are saying] will not be well-received by management. You really need to ask for a meeting with your boss in order to discuss the salary. It will give you time to work out a strategy for getting the rise you want.

You can send the e-mails at the same time, but I really would keep them discrete.

ps - I forgot to say - I hope the baby is flourishing!