• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

what I'm about

I would like to know the meaning of " that's not what I'm about " in the next passage.

DAVID BECKHAM, L.A. GALAXY: I did not see any children when I arrived at the hotel this morning. I went in the back way and I don't know whether they were in the front or, I don't know, I didn't see but that's one thing that I would never have done, and never have done and never will do, so I'm more than willing to meet them, wherever they want, whatever time they want. So, that's not what I do and that's not what I'm about. So, I apologize to the children, but like I said, I never saw them.

Re: what I'm about

Essentially, Beckham is saying he is not the sort of person who has no concern for others - that is not what his personal behaviour is about.

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the meaning of " that's not what I'm about " in the next passage.

DAVID BECKHAM, L.A. GALAXY: I did not see any children when I arrived at the hotel this morning. I went in the back way and I don't know whether they were in the front or, I don't know, I didn't see but that's one thing that I would never have done, and never have done and never will do, so I'm more than willing to meet them, wherever they want, whatever time they want. So, that's not what I do and that's not what I'm about. So, I apologize to the children, but like I said, I never saw them.
    Well it is not good written English but then it is is probably a speaking English quote so grammar is not important.

"that's not what I'm about " is colloquial speech meaning "that is not my image", "that is not how I do things"

It means, roughly, "that's not what I'm interested in." This is a fairly new expression. The positive is usually expressed "all about."

"I have to make a presentation to the new district manager tomorrow."
    "Oh, you should do a powerpoint. I hear he's all about powerpoints."
    "Thanks, I will. Because I'm all about sucking up to management!"

("Suck up," as you may already know, is a slang term meaning "to behave obsequiously.")

[not a teacher]