• Post Thanks / Like

Adverbs and such

How can I explain to my ESL students the concept of the suffix "ful" as in grateful, painful, beautiful etc.
    And the suffix "ness" as in sickness, illness, kindness etc.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adverbs and such

It's not always possible to explain the meaning of a suffix. It's more important to know what function is has (ie, to change an adjective ' happy' to an abstract noun ' happiness'.)

'-ful' as a suffix originates from 'full', as in beautiful = full of beauty. However, as you can see from the example you give, this doesn't work for many of the words that now can be formed with 'ful' (Full of grates? I don't think so!) So here, the only clue you can give your students is to explain that it's an adjective ending. All words ending in 'ful' are adjectives.

'-ness' is an abstract noun ending.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clare James View Post
    It's not always possible to explain the meaning of a suffix. It's more important to know what function is has (ie, to change an adjective ' happy' to an abstract noun ' happiness'.)

'-ful' as a suffix originates from 'full', as in beautiful = full of beauty. However, as you can see from the example you give, this doesn't work for many of the words that now can be formed with 'ful' (Full of grates? I don't think so!) So here, the only clue you can give your students is to explain that it's an adjective ending. All words ending in 'ful' are adjectives.

'-ness' is an abstract noun ending.

hi,

1) can i say that -ness always expresses a property of something?

politeness/sadness/...

2) what does "ie" stand for?

(ie, to change an adjective ....)
    thanks

• Post Thanks / Like

ie means 'that is' - and you use it when you are about to explain what you've just written before.

And yes, that seems like a reasonable description of '-ness'.