• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

take

Dear teachers,

This is from a text:

It takes the West to make a man really keen.

My question is: Is there such a structure "to take somebody to do something"? I have consulted all my dictionaries but I can't find the structure. Could you please explain it to me?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Re: take

It's an idiom, and it has this structure:

It takes [noun] to [verb]

"It takes something" in this construction means the same as "something is required". Your sentence means that in order for a man to become really keen, "the West" is required.

Other examples:

It takes courage to say "no". (In order to be able to say "no", you must have courage.)
    It takes a few minutes to fry an egg. (In order to fry an egg, you need a few minutes' time.)

When I was at school, if somebody insulted you, for example by calling you an idiot, you could respond: "It takes one to know one." That means: "If I am an idiot, then the only reason you know this is because you are also an idiot."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: take

Dear rewboss,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and the interesting examples. I understand it now.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    It's an idiom, and it has this structure:

It takes [noun] to [verb]

"It takes something" in this construction means the same as "something is required". Your sentence means that in order for a man to become really keen, "the West" is required.

Other examples:

It takes courage to say "no". (In order to be able to say "no", you must have courage.)
    It takes a few minutes to fry an egg. (In order to fry an egg, you need a few minutes' time.)

When I was at school, if somebody insulted you, for example by calling you an idiot, you could respond: "It takes one to know one." That means: "If I am an idiot, then the only reason you know this is because you are also an idiot."